PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Exclamation Is this a pirate site?

Is this a pirate site?

I was hunting the web tonight, trying to find a ST III / VI tricorder [with no luck ] when I stumbled across what may be a pirate site:

YES, this IS a pirate site.

I seem to recognize several kits from good designers I value. If this is a pirate site, who should I report it, to show my appreciation & respect for those good people who designed, and freely gave, of themselves?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

The DC

Last edited by 3Turner; 08-01-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: fat fingering; edit link to pirate site
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 36.39 MB
From what I've seen, it looks a lot like a pirate site. I've seen that same tricorder on another website which offers it for free. Just can't seem to remember the site....
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
I saw several kits from several sites.

What should I do?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I believe the general consensus is that anything from Alice papermodel is a pirated item.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
By now, Alice should be covered in little round bruises, after being poked with so many 10 foot barge-poles. Stay well clear!
B
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardist View Post
By now, Alice should be covered in little round bruises, after being poked with so many 10 foot barge-poles. Stay well clear!
B
Ameen to that. LOL!!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
What ever you do don't buy a wig for them or hair extensions on that site they are no more real hair than I am miss world
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Here is the post I made in another thread where links to Alice were posted. Again, lets not give them business by moving them up in search results which linking helps to do.

Here is my quote from before.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Turner View Post
Folks, it is very unfortunate that they are selling or re-selling many models...many of them available for free. HOWEVER, each time you link TO THEM or the store, you are helping create more traffic to their website which in turn will bring them up higher in Google (or other search engines) search results. Remember, there are always search bots combing the web looking for links and email addresses which contain the keywords used by the person searching a particular model. And when they begin seeing web links to that very same website over and over again on a paper model forum which contain a specific set of keywords, the search engines will give that website top search results because the keywords being used are in the link to the website here or any other forum you've linked from.

And what does that do, why is it important we do not link to that website? It will deceive the hobbyist doing a Google (or similar) search who is new to paper modeling into thinking that the website is a legitimate website to purchase from. And how do you think they will feel if they bought a model that IS FREE from one of the designers who frequent here? When that new hobbyist finds out he/she could have gotten that Optimus Prime model from Paper Replika for free...they will be mad and may be turned from our hobby. This is where, we as a community, come in to help the new hobbyist. Members from here should direct those individuals to the genuine, legitimate websites.

How can we stop them? First and foremost, let each designer know BY EMAIL that one or more models of theirs are being sold without their permission. Although, the designer may already know the situation with that specific website subject of this thread, it still helps to notify them. Next, you may want to try and find a link at the bottom of the website under "Help" or "Report Abuse" or "Report Copyright Violation"....something like that. Report the item if you can. But please...DO NOT link to them anymore, it is only more advertising for them and help gain them more exposure to unsuspecting hobbyists that do not know that website is not a legitimate outlet of digital models. All the linking does is give them higher search results and more exposure. Lets not let that happen.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:09 AM

Ia there anything that could be done through contacting their funding source or do they have a web administrator to ask that it be removed?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
That papermodel store is much like their version of Ebay. So there should be a way to report them...or each item. Though I think others have reported that vendor, but I don't know if anyone really did or know the results as to how it turned out if someone did.
Google Adsense