PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

View Poll Results: What do you do without finished models?
I keep them until they break, fall apart etc.! 18 11.54%
I keep them all in good condition - no future plans! 12 7.69%
I keep them all in good condition - I have future plans! 16 10.26%
I keep them on display with no future plans! 25 16.03%
I keep some and give some away! 59 37.82%
I make them for other people, or institutions! 8 5.13%
I more unfinished them finished models - they get thrown away! 7 4.49%
Other (tell us)! 11 7.05%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Where do/will your models go after they are made?

A simple question - I know where mine go, but I have often wondered about others peoples! Tell us where yours go - or what you plans are if you still have them.

Any good suggestions for routes to go?

Part of the problem may be that we tend to make models of strange things only we are interested in! Of course we need the interest in the subject or they would not get made!

But this may not make them interesting to the general public. Which does not matter as we should be making them for our satisfaction - but this does affect their disposal route/desirability in other people's eyes eventually!

Last edited by Kevin WS; 08-07-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Eternal Member

Apologies - question 7 should read..

I have more unfinished then finished models - I throw them away!

I have found you cannot edit a Poll. Perhaps a moderator can fix it?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Eternal Member

To answer my own question I proudly display my creations until they get broken, lost or damaged - small children etc.

A major problem here can also be insects - i built the Unseen University and stored it away only to have it demolished by the deadly fishmoth! My fault - should have recognised the possibility of attack.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Most are given away after completion. Some are kept for a while then given away.

I make dodecahedron calendars for my parents every year. They keep track of medical appointments and other dates with them. Some of the perpetual calendars offered at Fold4world: Calendar in 3D Paper Model where made as prizes at one of my niece's school fair.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
other mine get given as presents not really presents just end up in the hands of young children that love to play games the others that end up as presents or safe enough but I even have at times my god daughter and her brother over here paining on the floor on Daler board Can you think of an uncle in the world who is showing his god daughter to like to paint and to use such things as real canvas boards and reall strethched canvas to practice on. I maybe not the super dad are uncle but it makes no major difference to the canvas to be painted on a few times with acrylic paint in fact if they use dark colours it seems to make the picture i do over them look far brighter and vibrant. planes get thrown about cars get driven along ships and planes have battles Ok there is the odd model I go oh no they ruin it and then I realise its paper and most of them I can build again when the spirit moves me
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 820.35 MB
Some keep them on display and others gift to my nephews or friends who like what they see.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I'd say close to 80% of everything I've done is given away. SciFi mostly goes to the 10-year-old son of a friend. Some go to clients. And I make lots of birds and varmints to leave at the nursing home where my grandmother is a resident
Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
A few get displayed, many given away, right now a lot are in the attic for lack of display space.
I use to build flying model airplanes, balsa type, radio control and free flight. Their half-life was much shorter than a paper model that just sits around.
The need to build seems like an addiction at times, after some thing is built it is on to the next project. Maybe a ship model that takes years to do would work? Right now the medieval City is taking lots of time, but it will be huge when it is done!
George
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Mine get stored in file boxes mostly, but I do have a couple sitting on the computer at the office supply store where I work. Most of my older ones got destroyed about a year ago, when my daughter put them all in a box and plopped a large chunk of petrified wood in on top of them. Dumb kid...
Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mine are mostly for 28mm game play so I've taken to building as many to be "Fold Flat" as possible so I can store them in plastic bins - this applies mostly to buildings. Also I have lots of wall and corner segments for assembling buildings and dungeons on the fly. But a few, especially sailing ships and complex architecture such as buildings with interiors, I store either in deep plastic drawers or out in the living room on our shelves. Though it has started to draw attention from people who don't know that I have this hobby...

The Container Store > Like-itŪ Modular Drawers

Google Adsense

Tags
buildings., cars, paper models, planes