PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-19-2012, 01:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Unreal disrespect....

...this is from a friend of mine. I can hardly believe it is true.

Let me share with you something unbelievable that happened today. As many of you know, my dad passed away last week. Today his obituary appeared in the local paper.

I was listening to Q104.5 (the local oldies station) while driving into San Luis Obispo this morning, the DJs start chattering about what it would be like if obituaries were read on the radio like commercials using a cutesy radio voice. The next thing I know they begin reading my dad's obituary...at first I thought I was imagining it. I actually had to pull over to make sure I was hearing this correctly. After they got their laughs, they offered up a lame apology, saying something like, "no offense intended, we're sure Jack was a good guy".

...This is what entertainment has become, using people's sadness and suffering to get a laugh. I am so glad my mom did not hear them using her husband of 56 years death in a comedy skit. Absolutely tasteless.

I called the station when I returned home and asked to be speak to the General Manager, who of course was on another line. When the receptionist asked what this was regarding I told her it was about the tasteless skit that used my dad's obituary. The line went silent then she assured me the GM would call back...four hours later I was still waiting.

I called back, the GM, some person named "Pepper Daniels" was on the air so he had the receptionist tell me that he would have the offending DJs, a clown who goes by the name Adam Montiel and his sidekick Cheeba would call me tomorrow to apologize. I have my doubts.

If you think what these people did was offensive, crude and tasteless you can let them know via Facebook at the links below or by calling them at 805-781-2750.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Q1045-Central-Coast/169815703044859?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/adammontiel?fref=ts
Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I hope your friend gets a fullsome grovelling apology from these clowns. If not....

You might like to point them at the campaign running on Facebook at the moment in Australia called www.facebook.com/DestroyTheJoint.

There is a "shock jock" in Sydney called Alan Jones who for years has been an obnoxious, lying vilifier. Recently he gave a speech to a Liberal (that's like the US Republicans) party function in which he made totally inappropriate remarks about the Oz Prime Minister's recently deceased father. However, there was a journalist at the function who recorded the speech. The apology Jones made was totally inadequate. The campaign has focused on getting advertisers to withdraw their support for his show and the radio station 2GB. The station withdrew all ads for a week on Jones' show after just about all advertisers withdrew. The current advertisers on the show all seem to be mates of Jones - it's thought 2GB is giving them cheap or free advertising. The cost to the radio station is believed to be about $80,000 per day. Even an ex-Prime Minister of Australia has tweeted that maybe it's time to go after the radio station.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 AM

free speech....blah, yaddah, crunk.... (lol!). there are still limits to decency and "jocks" shouldn't be shocked when they get fired for saying/doing something that alienates the pocket-books of advertisers. sure, be controversial, if you like, but remember which side your bread is buttered on. :-) 80K AU is a good chunk of change...
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
There is a limit as too how far free speech can go.When it comes to using the deceased as the butt end of a joke.No way!!! Obviously any respect has completly gone out the window.I just hope it never happens to anyone elses family memebers.If you want to put your head up your ass,thats your right.Doing to hurt others?I dont think so.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Being British I am used to 'sick humour' and making a joke out of anything. It is a British trait to make jokes at difficult times, so in a way I can see what they were trying to do. HOWEVER, they should never have used a real obituary, it should have been fictitious. Also, to use a current one was totally tasteless, insensitive and just plain dumb.
I suggest a groevlling apology on air and a sizeable donation to the charity of your choice is the least you should expect.
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Have a look at the Facebook Page. They are now grovelling, but now say they commenced outreach to you already - over 15 hours ago according to the time on the post!

A hefty donation?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
OK - did my bit for your friend on their Facebook Page.....

Last edited by Kevin WS; 10-19-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebeltex View Post
free speech....blah, yaddah, crunk.... (lol!). there are still limits to decency and "jocks" shouldn't be shocked when they get fired for saying/doing something that alienates the pocket-books of advertisers. sure, be controversial, if you like, but remember which side your bread is buttered on. :-) 80K AU is a good chunk of change...
We are given the freedom of speech not to do what we want but to do what is right...
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM

Well said Armorman.... as most may know, I've put my foot in my mouth more than once. I may even do it again (probably...lol!), but not at that level...

By all accounts, Jack Smith Sr. was a fine man and a Korean war veteran BTW...
Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 22.02 MB
I will note that "free speech" is the right of individuals to express themselves without GOVERNMENT interference. Also, they have no "right" to get paid for being offensive. Their company has no "right" to profit from their speech.

If the company has not abjectly apologized, get a list of advertisers and post it here and we'll start letting THEM know what we think.
Google Adsense