PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ebay/paypal case against me

I'm kind of in a state of uncertainty at right now because I sold a item on ebay (a pair of headphones worth $90-100) and I shipped the package out on November 30th with deliver confirmation from USPS, the buyer emailed me today asking for the tracking number because he/she claims they never received the package. The USPS website states that the package was delivered on the 3rd. So, if the buyer were to file a claim against me through paypal, do they have a case?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
I don't know if they have a case against you, or if anyone has a case at all. Is it possible for you to find out if the package was left outside the buyer's home? If so, it's possible that some "nice person" took it before the buyer could get it. Then again, it's also possible that the buyer is trying to scam you.

Hopefully, you won't end up having to refund their money. Good luck.

Scott K.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
You also have to check with the USPS. The carrier will scan a package so it goes into the system as being delivered, but if they leave it at the wrong address the person it was addressed to is SOL unless the person that has it is honest enough to pass it on to the correct person. The USPS will claim it was delivered correctly because it was scanned as delivered. They will place the blame on the addressee instead of the USPS. You can submit a complaint, but it will most likely wind up lost in a giant warehouse. I write from experience.

Of course it could be as stated earlier that the addressee did receive it and is trying to scam you.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Unfortunately I was on the other side of that situation for an item worth far less. In this case the seller sent me a full refund and in turn I gave him 100% feedback. For the value of your item I would definitely keep in contact with the buyer and show that you are trying to resolve the issue and keep searching for answers. I do think that unless you have insurance on the item you may have to eat it and refund the buyer. Events like this do make me question how to send things now. If its worth it to me I require a signature upon delivery. Probably not what you want to hear, but to keep everyone happy and not receive negative feedback it may just have to happen that way.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.99 MB
I have been a Ebay member since the beginning.....get in touch with Ebay now....get their take on the situation and keep in touch with the buyer, be sympathetic.

What I do know is that Delivery Confirmation should only be used on "nothing lost" items. My policy is anything $10+ gets insurance.....no options.

Best of luck and best regards,
Will44
Google Adsense
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 PM

I have been an Ebay and Paypal member since 1997 and sold thousands of items on Ebay. I too have had the exact same problem for less money. USPS said they left the package. Buyer said they never saw it. I don't doubt the buyer because I too have had items "dropped off" that I never saw.
You don't have a lot of choice unfortunately. The best you can do is wait and see if it is finally delivered. If not, you are basically stuck.
I still sell items and ship with confirmed delivery, but nowdays I always send anything over $50 signature confirmation. That is about the only thing Ebay will take as gospel. Delivery confirmation is a toss up and if the buyer loses you can expect a negative. Goodluck in your case and please let us know what eventually happens.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
If USPS confirmed they delivered your parcel {whether to the right address or not} then this surely is proof that you haven't cheated anyone - USPS shouldn't just leave parcels, that's rubbish delivery. We have companies here that just throw parcels over the gate if it's locked {they can't be bothered to go around to the front door} I have complained - for what it's worth... what if there had been glass in the parcel ? i'd have to send it back and go through the whole cycle again.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
When the Buyer opens a dispute, asking for a refund or replacement
you will be contacted by Paypal.
At that time submit your delivery confirmation information from USPS.

If you sent the item and USPS says it was delivered, then your responsibility
is taken care of. Unfortunately for the Buyer, his dispute is with USPS, not you.

Paypal might still refund his money, but that shouldn't be any concern of yours. Paypal would have to make a claim against USPS in support of the
Buyer.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I went through a similar exercise on the buyer's end. The seller, who I won't name but is a "well respected" paper modeler, received a notice from the post office that the shipment had become mangled and contents lost...all that remained was the shipping label on a few scraps of wrapping paper. The seller stated he had been reembursed the postage cost, which he was keeping himself in compensation for his time spent chasing the problem, and too bad....if I wanted anything back, I could go talk to the post office...wasn't his problem.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I would agree, in that case, the Seller should have sought compensation
from USPS for the damage and loss...and the Buyer should be compensated
with a full refund (or a refund less shipping cost).

Not much "respect" for that seller.
Google Adsense