PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.16 MB
Love this thread.
Unlike the rest of you gents,,, I'm an Archaeologist/Treasure Hunter specializing in the use of Metal Detectors. Been doing this with others and independently since the late 70s.
Worked on land and in water as well.
Found lots of goodies and also tons of not so goodies.
Even Worked with Mel Fisher in Florida in recovery, and also in the lab and Museum doing identification and conservation of artifacts.
The thing is in doing my work, I've found lots of rocks and minerals.
Some I brought home and enjoy having.
Wish I could identify like you guys can some of them. But they all are
wonderful to me.
I think I even have some meteorites too.
My question for you guys is, are all meteorites magnetic? And can you check them by seeing if a magnet will stick to them? Probably a stupid
question to you guys, but I had to ask.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Musicman, as I understand it (very shallow/wide perspective): meteorites vary in composition based on the parent body (usually asteroid) they came from. The majority are "just" rock (stony meteorite), with varying compositions. The remainder are iron, or a blend of rock and iron, and represent a different type of source body - one large enough to have differentiated when formed.
So, you may find some meteorites with a metal detector or powerful magnet - but you may also be finding various bits of techno-trash we've strewn about the planet.
A trip to the library to check a few references should get you up to speed to add space-rock hunter to your resume.
Yogi
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
BTW - are (all of) you following the various debates on Curiosity and Opportunity's rock hunts?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
very interesting topic! i studied geophysics in college and very interested in geology. Other than paper modelling, i am also an amateur photographer, traveler, Lego collector and yes rock collector. I went to US few months ago and was hoping that i can have a chance to see and to take pictures of beautiful rock formations that i cant find here in Indonesia. unfortunately, the schedule was too tight. Wondering if next time i visit US, somebody here can show me the beauty of Rock in US (and teach me how to do a great paper modelling!). I leave my rock collection in my hometown while (now) i am working as drilling optimization engineer in other city.

Thanks to you guys! i never imagine will find rock lovers also in this forum! i will post picture of "my rocks" when the time is allowing me to do so.

sorry for my English!

Cheers!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
I've found lots of rocks and minerals.
Some I brought home and enjoy having.
Wish I could identify like you guys can some of them. But they all are
wonderful to me.
I think I even have some meteorites too.
My question for you guys is, are all meteorites magnetic? And can you check them by seeing if a magnet will stick to them? Probably a stupid
question to you guys, but I had to ask.
Thanks for posting, your like many that just have a natural interest in knowing more about the rocks at your feet.

Post your picts and we'll try to make a best guess as to what you've got.

I collect meteorites also and sometimes it's hard to tell from a picture unless they are in good light and show some of the surface details clearly. I have a small collection, it includes examples of most of the better known classes, Iron, Stony and Pallasites (Stony Irons). Using a very strong magnet, almost all meteorites show some magnetic attraction, but a VERY small group don't.

If you can post an image of the ones you think might be meteorites go ahead and I'll see what I can tell you about them...

Thanks,
SFX
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuthdaw View Post
very interesting topic! i studied geophysics in college and very interested in geology.

Thanks to you guys! i never imagine will find rock lovers also in this forum! i will post picture of "my rocks" when the time is allowing me to do so.

sorry for my English!

Cheers!
Your English is just fine don't worry about it. Post your picts and let us take a look at your collection. It's always to see what others are interested in and collect.

Thanks,
SFX
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM

Ashrunner, it sounds like you've seen more geology than many Professional Geologist have. I'm envious.

You should have gone into geology.

Many times I've seen your signature at the end of your posts and it reads:

"If you don't know what a lahar is, don't get in its way!"
I know what a lahar is, but I've never seen one in action. I've only seen the aftermath.

Have y
ou ever seen a lahar? If so, could you tell us about your experience? That would be so cool to see one (A side view).

thanks,
Swampfox

Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
Thanks for posting, your like many that just have a natural interest in knowing more about the rocks at your feet.

Post your picts and we'll try to make a best guess as to what you've got.

I collect meteorites also and sometimes it's hard to tell from a picture unless they are in good light and show some of the surface details clearly. I have a small collection, it includes examples of most of the better known classes, Iron, Stony and Pallasites (Stony Irons). Using a very strong magnet, almost all meteorites show some magnetic attraction, but a VERY small group don't.

If you can post an image of the ones you think might be meteorites go ahead and I'll see what I can tell you about them...

Thanks,
SFX
Thanks Swampfox,
Give me some time to get pics' of them for you.
I will post them when I can.