PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
I have two SiFi books I read over and over (have gone through several copies of each in the process).

The first is Poul Anderson's The High Crusade.

The other is The Flying Sorcerers by David Gerrold and Larry Niven.

There are many other books I have enjoyed, but none of them as much as I enjoy the two above.

Last edited by Ashrunner; 01-29-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Blood Music - Greg Bear

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
Knowing enough about physics to be dangerous....I find almost ANY novel...regardless of how well I like the story...to be laughable on the "real-life physics" scale...they all have major, major, problems...however, we all know that isn't why we read them...
Did you read some Clarke novels? I didn't find major errors in there... apart from some very optimistic technical things and the metaphysical part in the 20XX-series, the texts I know from him try to stay closely on real life physics, at least in my opinion...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Showin' my age I suppose, but no-one trumps Dan Dare ...

Johnny.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Heinlein's 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' come to mind...however, I still have a very soft spot for just about any of Burrough's books. As well, how about Glen Cook and the "metals" series, and Asprin's Myth series? Great entertainment.
I'm with you, Darwin. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a great read. I also read all the Burrough's books I could find as a teenager, and I still occasionally read one. I have them all on my e-reader.

Garland
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
It would be straightforward to list 100 sci-fi books that I've enjoyed reading many times, but there would be quite a bit of overlap with previous mentions. Understand, please, that I'm not arguing about literary merit, but naming books that clicked with me. Just a few that haven't made this thread yet are:

John Boyd -- The Last Starship from Earth; Jack Chalker -- And the Devil Will Drag You Under; Randall Garret -- Too Many Magicians and other Lord Darcy stories; Edward Llewellyn -- Salvage and Destroy; Walter Miller, Jr. -- A Canticle for Leibowitz; John Scalzi -- Old Man's War; James H. Schmitz -- The Witches of Karres; and Jack Vance -- The Languages of Pao.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Some of my favourites; The Mote in God's Eye (mentioned a couple of times here), Decision at Doona by Anne McCaffrey, all of the 'Dune' series, War of the Worlds by Wells, the Lensman series by EE 'Doc' Smith.

Bernie
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 GB
I've always liked Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" - would make a good film for the kids. Harry Harrison's original Stainless Steel Rat and Bil the Galactic Hero were good too plus Clarke for the engineering and Bradbury for the prose.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I don't read much sci-fi but my wife does. She likes long series like Ann McAfrey and C.J. Chacrryh.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Although I don't read as much as I should, I sometimes find the time to read some SF for leisure. I always have had a love for the classic SF novels and short stories. I very much enjoyed the "Ringworld" books by Larry Niven, a lot of short story collection books (Heinlein's "The Long Watch" and Godwin's "Cold Equations" come to mind), I thoroughly liked the Arthur C. Clarke realism in 2001 and 2010 (haven't read the other sequels).
I like time travel stories like the Poul Anderson novel "There Will Be Time". Some of my other favourites: "The Long Twilight" and "the Infinite Cage" by Keith Laumer, "More than Human" by Theodore Sturgeon (very intense, that one), "Wasp" by Eric Frank Russell and almost all books by Raphael Aloysius Lafferty - his humourous absurd approach to SF has no equal. Try his collection of short stories "900 Grandmothers" (which might be my favourite) or the novel "Not to Mention Camels".

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 01-29-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: I have typed some extra letters to make words
Google Adsense