PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
Time measurement

This is one of those random thoughts I sometimes have at work when my mind wanders. Has anyone ever tried to make the measurement of time more logical? I mean 60 seconds in a minute-60 minutes in an hour-24 hours per day-7 days in a week- and we can't even agree how many days are in a month. And yes I understand we're measuring things like the rotation of the earth and the cycles of the moon but I would think that we could figure out a more logical system.
Wayne
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
In fact, there is a system which doesn't require complicated date calculations like the different lengths of the months and so on:

Julian day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's standard in astronomy where a continuous number for each time is needed. Disadvantage is that it's almost useless for practical purposes because the numbers are high, and for measurements in the regime of seconds require a lot of digits.
There are a lot of other astronomical time systems, conversion between different ones is not easy. For high precission, the full problem of the earth's movement around the sun, with the precession and nutation of the earth's axis and so on have to be taken into account...

The difficult question is: "what is a logical system? - what must it fulfill?"

And BTW, a big part of the world doesn't even measure length in a logical system (meters) ;-)

Thorsten
Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Agree with Thorsten,

What logic system are you dealing with? There are many, and mine is the best one;-)

Come to agreement on what logic system we're all going to use, and then we'll talk.

Swampfox
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Those numbers were logical when they began. The ancient Messopotamians used a base-60 number system that's the source of 60 seconds, 60 minutes, and 360 degrees. And the 7-day week came from the ancient Hebrews, who thereby bequeathed weekends to mankind. Sure, there are good arguments that more sophisticated time measurments would make more sense. But it's hard to believe that a new system would make enough more sense to justify the astronomical cost of conversion.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
This whole "time" thing got me thinking...Just how logical is Daylight Savings time? God I hate to give up that hour of extra sleep in the morning but it is nice to have longer days.
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
And BTW, a big part of the world doesn't even measure length in a logical system (meters)

The same folks who gave us the metre also gave us decimal time and a new way of doing the calender. Where were you at 10.247 on the Amande of Thermidor?

They gave it up really quickly.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
This whole "time" thing got me thinking...Just how logical is Daylight Savings time? God I hate to give up that hour of extra sleep in the morning but it is nice to have longer days.

Hate to say it, but blame one of your presidents. You know, the one with the kite.

I myself measure time by radio program. No need to look at a clock if I listen to the same radio station day in, day out.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Here's a thing, the most accurate atomic clocks used by the military, have to be synced every 8 minutes or so, the more accurate you need to measure the more difficult it becomes.
I have no need to measure time at all, I don't get up unless needed, and only then for a minimum payment of a chocolate biscuit, no watch, no phone, got a sundial but it's always raining.
I measure time with a ruler and when asked why I'm late for things just reply that I'm an inch short of a meter(metre).
Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
i think it was the incas that had a near perfect calander.
and they made up the errors with a festival day or maybe week each year that didnt count as calander days.
you might want to verify that yourself for details.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.51 MB
frankin? a president?

@legion:
you are half correct. Franklin was the guy who "proposed" daylight savings (1784), but he was never president.

I have read his proposal which was meant as satire directed at Parisians suggesting that they economize on candles by rising earlier to use morning sunlight. . .he published anonymously as I don't think he was serious. . .but then we are a literal bunch here in the states at times.
cbg