PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Back in the 70s I was living in Toronto, Ont. I was driving my Volvo to work one day and the darn thing caught on fire directly in front of a restaurant . I dashed into the restaurant and asked the owner if I could use his extinguisher to kill the fire. He refused. A customer volunteered his fire extinguisher but by the time we got it to the auto my Volvo was pretty much destroyed. I was working for an industrial safety supply business, at the time, and we did a ton of business with the fire department. I was telling my fire chief buddy what happened and he scheduled the restaurant for an inspection and did the inspection personally. The restaurant owner ended up having to install a $10,000. extinguisher system over his grill and ovens and I ended up being the sales person who took care of it and got the commission Sometimes Karma can be tough
Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Eternal Member

Opel Combustibus (A Back in THE DAY Story)

If it will make you feel any better, I used to own a 1974 Opel Manta. I bought it in 1977 from a Cdn soldier who brought it back from Germany. At the time that I bought it, it was one of precisely FOUR Opel Mantas that was on the road in Manitoba, Canada, where I lived at that time. (Opels, except for the GT, were not sold in Canada at that time.)

I loved this bright-penny-coloured little car. I made a cafe racer out of her (with a little help from my friends ;-) ) . I named her "The Rhine Maiden", stuck fat Pirrelli rubber under her, and, with the aid of my late friend Vince, caused wonders to be done to her power train.

We had many adventures together. To make a long story short, something went wrong with her valve train, and at approximately 2:00 PM on June 30, 1984, she caught fire and burned in the parking lot of The Great Canadian Superstore at Nortgate Plaza in Winnipeg.

Every time I hear Wagner's "Ride of the Vakyiries" , I miss her.

I feel your loss, bro!

Sincerely, Jim
Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.56 GB
Thanks guys.Just got home from having the dressing changed (lots of yelling on my part) not as bad as first thought thank god just hurts like hell. Insurance company rang "why did you touch the distributor?" Hello?? car not going! Have to get it moving with no other transport (daughter lent us her car for couple days but needs it back). Have a horrible feeling they are going to try to not pay up. Tried to move it with daughter's boyfriend but cant get her out of gear, think the gearbox got cooked too. Bloody cars!!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Eternal Member

Angry Don't Go in There!!

Grif: To quote my late friend Dave C (Best shade-tree Norton MC mechanic in the world,(or at least in South Winnipeg) IMHO) "Don't touch that there thang, Elmer...There is enough juice going thru that to blow yer b*g off!!"

I laugh with you, that I may not weep!
Yer Bro,
Jim