PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.56 GB
Unhappy Wtf????

Ok, had enough now, last few months have been a challenge but have always had the attitude that "stuff happens" 2 days ago, I fixed my car which broke down last monday night , moved it a couple metres and it burst into flames!!!!!!!!! W. T. F. ?!? I reckon my mother in law has a voodoo doll. Got a bit singed (burns down my arm and across my face) but managed to keep it under control until the fireys got here (took a while we are on a rural property). Can't believe it died so spectacularly just after getting it running again. Even just got a small loan to take it to the mechanic on monday and get it running properly. Now cant get to work or anywhere else!!

Ok rant over now. Got to try to push the darn thing out of the way, cant get it into neutral and its blocking my driveway!!Wtf????-img_2826.jpg

Wtf????-img_2823.jpg

Wtf????-img_2827.jpg

Thanks for putting up with my whinge. Brian
Google Adsense
Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Yow! That is one of the problems with fuel injection systems, when a fire does get going you have pressurized fuel spraying.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.76 MB
Glad you're ok. Looking at the last picture, I could be wrong, but it looks like that the fire started from the battery. (I'm a certified CSI). Normally with an engine compartment fire, even if it's been a while, the battery is the last to go or at least one of the last. Looking at that picture it appears that the fire started from there and continued back towards the passenger side. Notice that the top 1/3 or so of the battery is melted compared to the damage of other areas. My guess is that the positive terminal of the battery ground out against the wheel well or there abouts. I've seen it happen before, a friend of mine had the same thing happen, but we caught it before it did any real damage to the car. Again I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse.

Rusty
Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Ouch, Man, that sucks!! I hope your burns aren't too bad. Have you got any friends that can help you? If you have enough people, you can pick up the car at one end, then the other, and "walk" it sideways off the driveway. Had to do this at a job many years ago, when someone left their car in the wrong place and took off.

I hope you have good insurance, and an understanding employer!

Scott K.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I think I see the problem...

Steering wheel slid over to the wrong side.
Probably came loose.
Looks like the entire Dash unit slid over there too?
(A little bit of duct tape would have prevented that.)
Must have squished some wires when it slid over to the right side
and that caused a short circuit.

Main thing is, you are still in one piece.
Try to find something to laugh about...it might ease the pain for a few minutes.
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2013, 02:07 AM

Thanks guys. Appreciate the sentiment. Burns arent too bad. arm hurts like hell but all covered in silver dressings.

rewalston, the damn thing started after I cleaned all the connections around the distributor, then drove maybe 5 metres, coughed and died. When I raised the bonnet to have alook, a flameball came from behind the engine and got my arm and face. I must admit I sat in front on my butt crying for a bit (yeah I know!!) I'll blame it on shock. Then got up and gopt a fire extinguisher which did nothing. After a second loud bang, I stayed behind the car squirting it with a hose until the fire service and ambos arrived and dragged me away. the firey actually asked me if I would get upset if he levered the bonnet open!? Just so P&^^ed off it happened, I need that damn car. Don't think i'll be able to buff the marks out of the paint though so might have to consider replacing it. And at least my eyebrows are now a normal length instead of their usual shag!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:11 AM

oops forgot the pic of the bonnet. Hmm, duct tape, maybe should have used more!!

Wtf????-img_2825.jpg

And a hell of a lot bigger extinguisher!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I'm glad you're ok Brian. Car fires can be quite nasty sometimes.

Back in high school, my friends truck spontaneously combusted in the school parking lot. Thankfully, no other cars were parked next to him. It wasn't too bad until the magnesium engine block started going. There wasn't much of the truck left after that.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Never seen a melted battery before.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Terrible. My condolences.

I know the feeling. It a nightmare living where there is no decent public transport.

I am 50 kms from work so rely totally on a car.