PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.19 MB
I'd never seen one of these models.....ever. So after reading this post this morning, went for Chinese food and stopping off at my favorite used bookstore on the way back to the office...aw you guessed it. It's funny how these things work. I had to pass, though. Not enough space with all the other unbuilt kits I have waiting, and no space to display it if I did eventually build it. If anyone wants one and lives in the SF Bay Area, I know where one is.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Built-up this is not that big, just long and not even that high unless you display the barrel elevated. Even the 1/35 Soar Art 80cm (calibre not model size) Dora actually displays quite nicely on a normal bookshelf...
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
I did not actually think the idea was that nutty.

Modern artillery have nuclear rounds in some cases - and the "super gun" nearly reared its head again in Iraq. Did not happen as there was difficulties in keeping the barrel length straight, among other things!
I think I was referring indirectly to the paradox defined by Herman Kahn and other theorists that nuclear weapons are only useful if they are never used but any opponent perceives that they might be used. The theorists back in the 1950s and 60s made, I think, a reasonable case that there is no containment of a nuclear conflict after first use between two nuclear armed opponents. That is, limited nuclear conflicts always escalate to society destroying nuclear war. Downsizing nuclear munitions was always considered to be risky since it complicates the command and control system required to ensure that the munitions are always under control of the highest command levels.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Wonderful that this one has been re-issued! I've built it many years ago, but it hasn't survived.
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
one of the last surviving guns is on the hill in front of fort Riley in KS.....completely disabled but awsome to see up close
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 89.45 MB
A friend of mine was in the Army, stationed in France near the German border. They had nukes onsite. Their job was to shoot nukes at our own positions near the Fulda Gap, if they were over-run by Warsaw Pact forces. I asked him what would have happened if his position was over-run. He said, "Oh, the Air Force was supposed to take care of us."

If that's a little less likely these days, I'm glad.