PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
This isn't exactly what you're looking for but it may help.
Craft Knife Survey
Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Widget Supply has some #11 kife blades at what appears to be some resonable prices.
#11 Classic Fine Point Hobby Knife Blades
Excel and X-Acto blades are available. There are also numerous knife handles available.

The will ship free in the lower 48 US states with orders over $25 and are quick.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Hi AT6
The sharpener that I use can be found here. It's a Gatco TriSeps Knife sharpener. Amazon.com: Gatco 60016 Tri-Seps Serrated Edge and Point Sharpener: Home Improvement

The polishing compound is from Harbor Freight but Im sure you can get that elseware. 1/4 Lb. Green Polish Compound

Good Luck
Hope this helps.
Thanks. I checked the links and may order a stone. Or I might learn how to use my Queer Creek stone[Yes that is the name on the stone. LOL] and a ceramic thingy that goes under a coffee cup.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
I had this rant several years ago....... I tossed out my X-acto blades and told anyone that they were in the garbage and they were welcome to them....... but I would pitty them if they got them..........and No Returns!

Anyway I used Excel for a long time and found these on ebay for $12.40 USD per 100 blades............ordered 11-04 and got them today 11-07.

Haven't tried them out yet, but they HAVE to be better than X-acto..........

Understand that I only use these for plunge cuts and very small parts so these will last me a pretty good while......... 98% of my cutting is done with Fiskers Micro Tip easy use scissors................

john
Attached Thumbnails
#11 blade quality issues, a rant.-techni-edge.jpg  

My Drawings
Old 12-01-2014, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Thanks for starting up this thread, John, its turning out to be very informative.

For what it's worth, here's my two cents...

Lately, like others here, I've been sold on the X-acto Z blades. I have found that they really are much stronger (no broken tips) and hold their edge much longer than the regular x-acto blades. I've put a single Z blade thruough the ringer while building my Dragon Wagon. So far, so good. It's holding up very well to lots of tough cutting; this includes 38 wheel formers (mounted to 0.5mm card board), 38 tire sidewalls, 38 wheel rims, 19 tread sections, a whole front suspension and many other parts! Like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going strong. When it gets a little dull I touch up the edge using a whet stone and some polishing compound. This brings it right back to life with an edge just as sharp as a new blade.

Here how I do it...

First, I put a little spit onto the whetstone to act as a cutting lube for the blade. The stone that I use is a very, very, fine one. Sorry I have no idea what brand it is but I found it in the fishing department at a Gander Mountain Sporting Goods store many years ago. One side of the triangular shaped stone has groves molded into it that can be used to sharpen fishing hooks. Plus it has a nice chain affixed to one end so you can attach it to your fishing vest, or paper modeling vest, if you have one! (As you know, any respectable paper model builder who's worth their weight in card stock, must have a paper modeling vest)

Then I draw the knife across the stone like I'm trying to whittle or shave away at it, Don't drag the blade backwards! (You'll go backwards later when polishing) I give each side of the blade about 4-5 good passes across the stone.

Then I use green polishing compound and a piece on scrap cardboard to hone a super sharp edge onto the blade.

I take the stick of polishing compound and rub or "scribble" some like a crayon onto a piece of scrap brown cardboard like you'd get from an old cereal box.

Then I drag each side of the blade over this several times to remove any microscopic burrs created by the whetstone until the edge has a mirror like finish and razor sharp edge. This technique is similar to that of the old time barber, using a leather strop on his old straight razor to guarantee a close shave. From time to time I will also do this polishing between trips to the whetstone I have found that this quick polish adds instant life into the blade.

This is probably not the only way to sharpen a blade but I have found it to be very quick and effective. Soon you'll be cutting 1.0mm card stock like it's butter!
Used this technique recently and it worked great. Some black jewelers rouge was used instead of the green polishing compound. The black jewelers rouge is for stainless steel and other metals and gave a nice polish and burr removal. The treated blade cut real good again.
Google Adsense
Old 12-06-2014, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It just so happens my father owns a company that sells all different kinds of hobby and Xacto blades. So I have used a lot of brands, numbers, and mpn. His customers had a huge problem with X-acto when they changed to manufacturing their blades outside of the US. His customers use # 11 and #16 blades to scrape at printed circuit boards. They found that when the switch happened the tips started breaking. I tend to agree as well that the G11-100 #11 blade from American Safety & Razor is way better than the Xacto X611 and X811. Although the new Xacto Z blade has had some good feedback, I think the price is still high. For the money and quality I like using a blade I found rummaging around my dads warehouse. I did not ask where he manufacturers the blade but I like it and it holds up to my slicing and scraping in sculpting projects on dried bone clay as well as my card stock cutting. Its the fls-s-11m blade and Im pretty sure it runs for just under $15