PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Viewfinder camera

Suggestions, please! Virtually all today's reasonably-priced cameras require you to use the view screen to compose pictures. But our hot Texas sun washes out the viewscreen, making such cameras almost useless outdoors. I'd love to get a digital camera that had a real viewfinder, but they all seem to cost $500. Does anybody know of a nice viewfinder camera for less than $200?

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
You can always get an anti-glare screen protector. Should cut out all but the harshest glare. There's also this: Nikon | Imaging Products | COOLPIX AW110 or similar.

The outdoor cameras have LCD screens optimised for outdoor use.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Yale,
We have used a Sony cybershot PSC 200 (7.2 mp) for the past 4 years or so. There are many better cameras these days available, but ours works just fine. It comes with a small viewfinder, a macro function, a ziess lens, and we have never had any problem with the display "washing out" here in Texas. They can be found on ebay for between $20.00 and $60.00 USD (used). Be sure that any you bid on come with the charging cord, A/V cord, and memory card. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Amazon has a nice Canon here:

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A1400 16.0 MP Digital Camera

And they have literally hundreds of others. You can customise your search to find cameras with optical (ef) viewfinders.

Curt
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
You will be hard pressed finding a NEW current digital P&S camera with a viewfinder in the $200 range. Although, here is a review of P&S cameras with viewfinders (although originally published in 2012) which you may be able to find through ebay or other secondary markets if there are no new ones available at the big box stores. Top 5 Point & Shoot Cameras with a Viewfinder (2013 Update)

EDIT: in that link above, the first one (cheapest camera) is available NEW here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all
Then it would all just be a matter of, is the seller on Amazon a good trustworthy seller.

A used/older/discontinued one like ashevilleangler linked to on amazon would be your best bet.

Alternative #1: some camera companies sell an accessory which you attach to the flash hot shoe that act as an external view finder: Optical & Electronic Viewfinders| B&H Photo Video

Alternative #2: You may need to get what ever camera you want and can afford, then use an external hood or shroud on the exterior of the camera. LCD Hoods & Shades| B&H Photo Video

I myself have 2 DSLRs and 1 Canon Powershot SD780IS (does have optical viewfinder)...and also live in Texas. I don't have too much trouble with the LCD screen on any camera. If at anytime I do need to peek at the LCD screen, I just cup my hand over the screen. Taking pictures with the Powershot is usually with the LCD screen. I have yet to use the optical viewfinder on the P&S.

Last edited by 3Turner; 05-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
There are many directions for making a paper LCD HOOD on the internet:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pape...w=1024&bih=629
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
I use the Nikon D40. It has gone down in price since I bought mine. Very easy to use and takes great pictures. If you do get one let me know, I have a 55 x 200mm lens I will sell you cheap.

Amazon.com: Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens: Camera & Photo
Old 05-26-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks for all the leads, guys. On-line research confirms the strong correlation between viewfinders and high-end cameras. But there may be a dozen viewfinder models available from Amazon for around $150 new, many with ratings of 4-and-a-half stars. So I'll be set as soon as I can grow a little money. It's still a mystery, however, why Office Depot, Sam's Club, and other local stores don't stock any of these reasonably priced viewfinder cameras.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
It's still a mystery, however, why Office Depot, Sam's Club, and other local stores don't stock any of these reasonably priced viewfinder cameras.
I'll solve that mystery for you, it's because the big name cameras are now trying to appeal the entry level DSLR cameras to the "soccer-mom" market or really to anyone who wants to invest and use that type of camera for the added functionalities over a P&S...many of whom have not one single clue how to use the camera and end up using it as a point and shot itself on "green box mode". One day I had enough of family and friends asking me to take their pictures (for free) and edit them for print (a few hours of time each instance) that I told them I would start charging for photos. Well, they instead bought DSLRs (because that's what I have ), then for the next few times I'd see the family and/or friend, the only thing they wanted to talk about was, "How do I use this camera? What settings do I put it on for...? How can I get pictures like yours?" Sometimes I'd tell them to just read the manual. haha!

Additionally, those new cameras are now taking SD memory cards, which many P&S did before, so its a marketing tactic for the companies to tell people, "your memory card will still work". I used to buy my CF cards at costco cheap, but when they got rid of the cameras that used CF cards....they got rid of the cards.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 AM

Hmmnnn ..... In previous years, Robert, you'd be talking about people who wanted Nikons when they'd be better off with Brownies. And I take your point that their counterparts today want expensive-looking cameras despite being snapshot people. But if the manufacturers really want to cater to such folks, it seems that they'd create more inexpensive viewfinder models, not fewer, and it seems that ordinary stores would include these models in their displays. Furthermore, I wonder if many of today's low-end point-and-shoot cameras won't be replaced by improved cellpone cameras -- so that viewfinders would be an obvious way to distinguish somewhat better cameras from the pack of cheaper ones. Fortunately, these considerations will be academic for me, as I'll be able to get a viewfinder camera without paying an inordinate amount of money.

Google Adsense