PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
Good Day,

It appears we are debating but it seems to me we are really offering points that support the same position. I think the reason that this type of advertising is basically obsolete is for the same reasons Codex thinks instructions are critical and Dave feels superior design and complexity are crucial.

World wide over the last several generations we have moved away from a solid emphasis on practical education with a rounded curriculum in arts and sciences to...something else. How many times have we run across folks that lacked even a basic understanding of geometry of for that matter 7th grade math? Not that I am THAT old but certainly during my childhood handcrafts, drawing/sketching and models (or toys because thats what they were) were a normal part of life. As were many pastimes that made use of your hands or imagination. No matter your class or inclination (motor head, nerd, etc.) Out side of those three channels on TV what else were you going to do?

Despite being an Aircraft Mechanic and one who loves to putter around the house with various projects, I was able to impart very little in the way of love of any of these pastimes to my son...Nintendo, and then cell phones and PC's etc., were taking over by then...

I very much agree with both of you. Dave, one thing I have noticed being an expat over here is that every model show I go to, the tables they set up for children to do various activities are packed! Also, up until recently children in the public scools were required to build a model. Because building a model reinforces motor skills, organizational skills and critical thinking. And Codex, of course you are right. Many times I have seen new members join and quickly become enthralled with collecting rather than building.

Kind Regards,

Cris
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Torque View Post
...and Dave feels superior design and complexity are crucial.
hunh wha?!

I'm the guy who tries to design an assembly in as few parts as possible
...contrary to many designers who over-complicate things.
(no....this isn't about Uhu...no)

I'm hoping what you mean by that statement, is that I think the days
of excitement over finding a cut out Lone Ranger mask on the back
of a cereal box are gone.

Its hard for a kid to get excited over a simple 2 part boxey paper model Race Car
when their brains are used to being oversaturated with amazing 3d CGI sculpture.

Its the same reason a young teen can't appreciate everything that is amazing about the
original King Kong, after seeing something like the Transformers movie.

But...you are correct...I too have seen the craft table busy with little children enjoying the art of "building it".

Maybe thats part of the problem?
Nowadays we learn to operate...like how to operate software on a computer.
But we don't need any understanding of how a computer works.
Kids don't have that experience of being the builder
...they just know how to be the operator.

The amazement that comes from saying "wow, I made that!"

In the same way that today's generation can't understand the work that Ray Harryhausen put into movies like Jason and the Argonauts.
They just take every CGI effect for granted because pretty much anyone with a computer can create something.

Having said that... I do think a simple paper model has its place and can still inspire and awe.

But do I think most companies (today) would consider a paper model giveaway as an advertising option??
Not as easily as companies in the 1940s, 50s and 60s would have.
Not with all the advertising options available today.
I'm not sure its that simple of an idea to consider in this high tech age, and I am very reluctant to put the effort
into designing idea models for that purpose.

Another thing I have learned from being an airbrush artist, is that most consumers are very narrow minded.
They see things through tunnel vision.
When I put up a painting on my website, I have to illustrate that the artwork can be painted on a Bike or a Car or a Helmet or a Wall, etc.
Most people see a painted helmet and assume thats it...that artwork is only available on a Helmet.
Or that the helmets shown are the only paintjobs I can offer.
I constantly have to explain that I can paint any artwork on any surface and that the customer can suggest ideas.

If I design a paper model with a logo on it...I will also have to design a different paper model with the same logo,
to illustrate that two different models can have the same logo.
And then I must include a third to illustrate...
And then design the first model with a different logo and so on.
It might sound silly...but the general consumer is not a paper modeler,
or an artist, or a craft person...
they are generally business people looking for advertising ideas.
They don't do the imagining...they hire people for that.
You have to lay out the entire advertising campaign for them to get them interested.

Which means I have to design the specific models they need in advance.
I would have to do that for every potential client.
And theres no way I can do that...in advance.

I know, I know...this doesn't have to be this hard.
I'm already thinking about creating a page on my website...
using some basic models to illustrate the point
and relying on some text explanation of how "paper models" can be used
as a cheap promotional and advertising device.

Yes ...I'll do it......................................but I won't like it.