PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-17-2013, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Models as art - St Mere Eglise project

For the past several years I have had an acquaintance who is an artist by trade and has been producing extremely well done paintings and prints of important moments in history. To build a composition he photographs people in period dress/uniforms and commissions his model building friends living near him for replicas of military vehicles and the like.

Back in 2011, he wanted to start working on a painting that he felt was important although no one was commissioning its completion: The paratrooper airdrop on St. Mere Eglise.

He wanted a replica of the church and surrounding buildings to use to help set the stage as the point of view was from above the paratrooper. I was asked to build the models for this, since I was the only person he know that built in paper.

While I am hesitant to download a photo of the end result here, I will post two links to his website and blog for further oogling.

I am so happy that I got to play a small part in this creation.

greg

82 Airborne

Offical Website of Larry Selman - Military Artist and Military Art Work
Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is great, Greg!

Selman is an excellent artist who has painted some of the paintings commissioned by U.S. Army War College classes as gifts to the college ("Coming Home" is one example: my friend, Colonel (Ret) Frank Hancock served as the model for the veteran in the leather jacket welcoming the troops home), so I see his paintings when I walk the corridors of Elihu Root Hall.

Below are the snapshots Lil and I took of St Mere Eglise when we visited Normandy two years ago.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Models as art - St Mere Eglise project-stmere01.jpg   Models as art - St Mere Eglise project-stmere02.jpg   Models as art - St Mere Eglise project-stmere03.jpg   Models as art - St Mere Eglise project-stmere04.jpg   Models as art - St Mere Eglise project-stmere05.jpg