PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Anti-virus

What do you guys think is the best anti-virus software?.........Rich
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
No clue, but I really do not like McAfee
Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I think you get what you pay for...I've used trend Micro for over a decade and never had a problem with 'intruders'; I kicked Norton into touch because it was too intrusive into PC systems and wasn't picking up stuff that trend Micro was...Personally, unless you have no alternative, I wouldn't touch the free anti-virus programmes with a barge pole...
Old 07-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
I think you get what you pay for...I've used trend Micro for over a decade and never had a problem with 'intruders'; I kicked Norton into touch because it was too intrusive into PC systems and wasn't picking up stuff that trend Micro was...Personally, unless you have no alternative, I wouldn't touch the free anti-virus programmes with a barge pole...
This is a personal opinion, and i'm guessing you had some real problems with them... HOWEVER ! {yeah you knew that was coming} AVG is on of the free a/v's out there that i WOULD recommend ! I have been using this for a very very long time, and i must say that, it has saved my bacon on numerous occasions. AVG updates at least 2 to 3 times weekly. There is an option to buy there premium a/v software which has many more tweaks, but if you want something for free, then AVG is the way to go - and this of course is MHO
Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
I have used Microsoft Security Essentials with much success, and due to it being Microsoft (and free!) I have not felt the need to worry. I would recommend it!
Google Adsense
Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
I am in my last year of a 3-license McAfee Internet Security Suite. It is an alright software program, caught many attempted bugs. However, always made my XP machine very slow, as well as the two Vista laptops I have it on.

When I got my Windows 8 computer, I instead got Comodo Internet Security. Has anti-virus and firewall. I've been very pleased with it and (knock on wood) it has kept my new computer "intruder" free thus far. The program even includes a sandbox if needed. Best of all, it's freeware. Although you do get the occasional pop up in the bottom right corner asking to enroll in the monthly payment for added features. I don't recall off hand what they are...the free version is doing me fine right now.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
My new laptop came with Norton installed (as a trial). It was kinda sluggish, and made changing the setting to my liking very tricky. My brother-in-law recommended AVG to me. It is pretty slick. Hasn't had the opportunity to catch too many things, but it has trapped a few before things got bad.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
My new laptop came with Norton installed (as a trial). It was kinda sluggish, and made changing the setting to my liking very tricky. My brother-in-law recommended AVG to me. It is pretty slick. Hasn't had the opportunity to catch too many things, but it has trapped a few before things got bad.
He does you right
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I recently opted for the paid version of AVG...it works at least as well as Macaffe. I don't know what to use for my old XP 'puters after next April when microscam stops supporting it.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I have used a few of them over the years, but am now using Microsoft Security Essentials on both my Vista and Win 7 machines with no problems.

Beard
Google Adsense