PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Thanks for the picture links Rob.

I see the water they are dropping is coloured. Why? Or is it not water but some form of chemical?
Kevin...the mixture the bomber aircraft drop is called slurry by some people, borate by others. It is mostly water, but also a mixture of various chemicals designed to prevent the water from evaporating when dropped over very hot fires. It contains some fertilizer which helps in regrowth, a gummy substance to hold it together and prevent runoff and a substance which colors it red to mark the spot it was dropped.

The bomber base at the airport here, reloads the mixtures rather quickly and turns the aircraft around fast. On the west end of the bomber base parking area is the tanks they fill from. Lots of red stain around the tanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thanks Ash.

We had a couple of water bombers here (or had here - do not know if they are still flying). They used to scoop water. Ditto with the helicopters.

Fertilizer etc. Very interesting.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermodelfan View Post
The smaller planes are retanking at Hemet Ryan airport which is where the command center is. The DC-10 has to go to Victorville, several hundred miles away.
I think their base is in Victorville, too. There's a Dr. Pepper plant there that I occasionally haul loads from, and it's right at the airport where there are usually 2 or 3 of them hanging around.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Personally, I'm a big fan of the Canadian sikorsky sky cranes, each year during the bushfire season a couple of them come downunder to help out, the most famous of them being the one called "Elvis". I'd love to see a model of one of these, is there already one available?

I found a picture of one on Ashrunner's flikr page...

Fire fighting aerial bombers-_459609477_978595f7c0_o.jpg

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
There's a Skycrane model on Fiddlers Green: Sikorsky S-64 Sky Crane | Aircraft |

Also, that P-3A is awesome, Ashrunner!
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2013, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Thanks Ashrunner - what great pix! I am really fond of the Neptunes. Anyone know of a paper model of them?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
So we cut our vacation a day short and pulled out of Idyllwild Tuesday afternoon. By Weds, the town was filled with smoke, and an inversion layer meant the planes were having trouble seeing. Weds afternoon, it was 22,800 acres, 15% contained, and the town of Idyllwild was evacuated. We flew out of Ontario airport, near Riverside CA, heading back to Atlanta yest eve, and could see the huge plume in the distance as we took off. They have brought in two C-130's and a night flying chopper. This is now the top priority fire in the nation. Whew!

Guess we called it right - when from the front porch of the cabin you can see a) a stream of fire trucks passing by, including a crew from Montana, b) the DC10 tanker lining up for a low altitude run, and c) the road 100-yards away closed... it is time to skedaddle. You can follow some really good reporting from the very local paper (The Town Crier - "Almost all of the News - Part of the time") at BREAKING: Mountain Fire updates - Idyllwild Town Crier
Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Glad you left before it was too late.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Rob, was close to the area 2 days ago coming back to AZ. They'd let most of the people back in and thanks to some cooling and a bit of rain had contained a major portion of the fire area.

Here's a site I belong to. They're more plastic model orientated, but a good source of photo reference: Scale Firebombers.com

Was bummed when they moved the planes here from Sky Harbor to Williams. Always enjoyed driving by and seeing a couple of the Orion's sitting there.