PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-31-2013, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
A friend with whom I shared these words writes: "one word I miss very much in the english language is the word for the first time you try something after you bought it: 'estrenar.'"

I do not know if this applies to examining a newly-purchased paper model, but it seems to fit.

Don
Don, I think it may fit. "Estrenar", at least when making the first cut, may apply to a paper model.

Now, in other contexts, "estrenar" can become an important social action too. Like when you just buy a new house or a new car, or a new TV (or even if it is a second-hand house, car, or TV, but is the first time with you), you usually invite your relatives or friends to a lunch at the house, or to a small trip in the car, or to watch a football match on the tv, just for the pleasure of sharing your new acquisition with your closest ones. And is not understood as showing off, or bragging, but as a way of making the others parts of your own happiness. When you know someone is about to buy a house, you are waiting to be invited to "el estreno" (or "el estrene" which is more colloquial).

Like just today, I was with my brother and his wife. They are buying a used car, which is their very first car. She said: "And now we have to think were are we going, and who will we invite to "el estreno".

The image of the original post deals only with words that are unique to those languages and not found in any other. I don't know if "estrenar" has some similar equivalent in other language. Maybe. Sometimes Romance languages share similar words.

One word from English that I like a lot, and that is very hard to translate to Spanish is "serendipity". And is a beautiful word. Because of the lack of a direct and appropriate term, some bad (or lazy) Spanish language translators are now using "serendipia" as a direct adaptation.

I studied English philology, and because of that I developed certain fondness for all this kind of linguistic themes. They are always interesting. Languages certainly create realities.

Regards.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I hate to be a pochemuchka, but if these are so untranslatable... why are they all accompanied by translations?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrelicious View Post
I hate to be a pochemuchka, but if these are so untranslatable... why are they all accompanied by translations?

I think that more than "translations" they are explanations on the meaning .

They are "untranslatable" in that there is not a 1-to-1 word that can express the same meaning, or convey the same cultural, social, or psychological state in other language.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenandres77 View Post

I think that more than "translations" they are explanations on the meaning .

They are "untranslatable" in that there is not a 1-to-1 word that can express the same meaning, or convey the same cultural, social, or psychological state in other language.
I don't think a word has to have a 1:1 equivalent to be considered translatable. otherwise the word "goodbye" is not translateable in French, because the French equivalent is the two word "au revoir".
Old 08-31-2013, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Rubén - Thanks you for that wonderful explanation of estrenar.

Clearly, "untranslatable" is simply a shorthand for a word that contains shades of meaning and nuances that, as Rubén says, cannot be translated with a single word. All the words are beautiful and/or funny, charming, interesting, and worth passing on to friends. I would prefer not to overthink the precise applicability of "untranslatable" and just enjoy the words.

Don
Google Adsense