PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-30-2007, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I think the consensus of opinion leans towards cutting only what one needs for the next assembly step. Anything else would cause a lot of confusion.
Allan
Old 07-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by airportkid View Post
Because the pieces to subassemblies are often printed scattered across pages (to save paper or for other reasons) I always find it easier to cut everything free (but not down to the finish edges) and stash all the pieces to subassemblies into std 1st class envelopes with the subassembly name on the outside of the envelope. ...Mark Baird
Alameda CA USA (San Francisco Bay Area)
I have found in various modelling experience (not just card models) that zip-lock bags can be great for storing small parts. It has the advantage of being 1) clear and 2) sealable to prevent parts from accidentally falling out. Plus even the standard sandwich size bags are larger than a 1st class envelope (or at least of a more useable size).
Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
I cut only what I need for the assembly/subassembly at hand BUT I score all the fold lines for a kit before beginning.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.32 MB
I only cut out I need for what I am doing at the moment. I only work in small bursts with sometime a large gap between sesions. It would be too easy to lose something if I cut out more at a time.
I do cut out and laminate as much as I can at once. That way everything is ready to go when I get to that sub-assembly.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Like the majority of people here, I only cut out what I need right now.... If it's a sub assembly that needs another sub assembly for alignment or size then I will work on more than the nessesary part. But it's rare that I bother to cut large numbers of parts, it's way too easy to forget where I am, especially when I can have days or weeks between building.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Well, to repeat something that I've said before in another place far, far away, and since this conversation has gone from cutting things out to organizing things... those sticky pages that exist for holding photos into albums are very good if you desire to cut all the parts out in sequence and store them that way. Plus, they are reusable. I never would have made it through the Halinski Tiger without them.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I generally score all of the parts first then cut out the larger pieces for a sub-assembly, cutting out the small pieces for the sub-assembly as needed. I do not cut out the small bits and pieces that are used to add detail until they are needed.
I sometimes do not score the smaller pieces, instead use the sharp edge of a utility knive blade as a backer to make the folds.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:11 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhitt View Post
I only cut out the bare minimum number that makes sense for the current assembly step. If it's a repetitive thing like engine cylinders that take the same sort of actions (forming, etc), I will do all those at once, but otherwise it sends up being just a handful.

Rick
Same here. I try to keep everything in book form as long as I can. If parts of pages get loose, I stick them in an envelope labeled with the kit name.
I've still managed to lose a few parts but that's because my workbench gets pretty messy halfway through a project.

No worries,
--David
Old 08-01-2007, 12:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.32 MB
Like most people here, I am just cutting out the parts, which I really need in the moment. As they are getting rather small sometime, the danger of loosing them is too big for me. Even the cut-out-parts (like the sides for a gun-turrel or so) are "stored" in a box. The box it self has several Organizations, due to its former purpose of cookies... Cleaned up it is VERY helpful.
When the parts are layed in there, there is no "chance" for a mistake. The parts number is written (when necessary) on a small little yellow note and plasted there.
Sometimes - after critical parts - it is really good to do something else (= like cutting out bigger parts) then to glue the next part...