PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Brainpoot

Lately I've been revisiting my modeling roots and building up my own estate of stick-and-tissue kits. The first pic is what I've added to the collection over the last month; the second pic is their brothers and sisters I've had gathering dust. Included in the latest batch of ebay wins are a couple of the Guillows line of 1:16 scale kits, a Stuka and a Dauntless. Judging from the pictures posted on the bidding page, the Dauntless kit is complete, just has a beat-up box (not being a collector, this just tends to reduce the competition a bit for winning a vintage item), but the Stuka may or may not be a source of spare parts. From the pictures, it is obvious that the previous owner had started the kit at least to the point of punching out most of the die-cut parts, and I can't tell if the removed parts are still somewhere in the box. That isn't much of a problem as long as the plan sheets are still intact, as Guillows tends to include a printed copy of all the balsa formers on their plans, and I have a small pile of balsa sheet tucked away in some corner of the shop. As well, the vacuformed pilot figure is badly crushed. Buildability of the kit remains to be seen, as it will be likely still a week away from the postman to leave it on my porch. In the same hour that I scored the balsa kit, I received the download URL for Doctor Z's Stuka. On opening the files, the brainpoot hit. The Guillows kit is primarily intended to be a display model, so has a very basic but full-depth cocpit tub. Looking at the unpacked paper model files, it hit me that all one need do is enlarge by 100% to fit the good doctor's office into the Guillows kit. Then the devil sat on my shoulder and whispered "hey, the balsa kit is going to be for display only, so you don't need to worry about little things like weight...maybe the Zarkov skins can be fitted onto the stick and tissue framework...."

So, if and when this Frankenstuka project comes about, is there enough interest in seeing a build thread to make it worthwhile?

Brainpoot-e1.jpgBrainpoot-e2.jpg
Old 09-15-2013, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Nice stash there. I've got one of those for a Ford Trimotor close to 1/25 stashed away. Guess it must be a really rare one, only ever saw 2 of the kits about 25 years ago. I bought one and a fellow Ford fanatic got the other. Never been able to find another. Over the years have eyeballed a few of their others also.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I've always looked at the Guillows kits on the shelves here and thought that I might one day buy one and have a crack at it but never have...nor have I ever seen one being built i.e. have seen a few completed ones but never the actual build process so i would certainly follow your build thread here...

Simon
Old 09-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Simon, if you are interested in trying a Guillows kit, A2Z Corp is running a sale on Guillows kits, but one needs to act fairly quickly, as I think it ends the 18th or so. They have their remaining stock of printwood kits (the smaller models, in the 20 to 24 inch range, with no die-cutting) for 55% off, and the remaider of the Guillows range at 35% off. It is a cupon sale, so if you are interested, pm me and I'll send you the 'cupon' to enter on the checkout page to get the discount.