PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-25-2013, 04:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
I guess they could just do check rides in a Piper Cub
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
This is a real shame. According to a number of articles I've read on the Air Force budget issues, the force was faced with either cutting the A-10 or B-1 fleet. Not a squadron, the WHOLE FLEET!

The sequester thing didn't allow the Air Force to close bases or retire old aircraft that weren't meeting safety and combat standards, and it was forced to keep them. One article said that by just closing the 5-6 bases and retiring the unwanted aircraft, the Air Force could have possibly saved more money than by shutting down entire fleets of aircraft.

Sorry if that sounded political. I'm not trying to be. I'm just a disappointed wingnut like many of you.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Most of us understand the political history that restricts the US Army to helicopters and light aircraft. But if the Air Force has decided to opt out of that heavy, close-air-aupport role, it makes sense to me to allow the Army to pick it up. And I say this as an Air Force veteran. Certainly I'd rather see the A-10s keep operating in Army markings than in those of the California Highway Patrol -- which was a novelty recolor in another thread.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
The A-10 was always one of my favorites. They built many of them in Hagerstown MD which was twenty minutes from my home in PA. They would test fly them in pairs all the time and were a common sight when I was a boy.

greg
Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpusher View Post
Slow and Low doesn't fit in with US's air force future.
My memory wants to say that USAF has made that mistake a couple times before.
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
The A-10 Warthog and the a-6 Intruder are amoung a few of the aircraft I fell in love with and didn't much are of the idea they retired or going to be soon. The old aircraft must make way for the new. I fully understand this concept. It's the same for people. Don't much care for that one either. I will always have my videos and photos. Always in need of a very detailed card stock model. Never ever enough. Thank you for sharing and very grateful for all the lives of the pilots these planes saved. wc
Old 09-25-2013, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
I can understand that it's time to replace the A-10, but only when the replacement aircraft is combat-ready, which sadly enough, it's nowhere near that.

Niki
Old 09-25-2013, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I just cried a little.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Saw a bunch of them a few years ago while traveling on I-20 near Barksdale AFB in Louisiana. They were flitting around in the air lining up on the road traffic. I descibed them as flitting around because they reminded me at times of leaves falling and being blown around by the wind. The way the A-10's were maneuvering in the air looked like that.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
A a grunt, there were two predecessors, that us grunts called in for air support, Sandy (Sky raider) and the A-7 Corsair. Sandy had the longest loiter time but had to re-arm. When the Warthog came into theater, it was the most beautiful bird in the sky. The army already has an unofficial air force, why not just add it to the TO&E. This bird is also a favorite close air support for the Marines as well as coalition forces. I used to hear the warthogs flying overhead frequently when Pope belonged to the Air Force, Now the army has a state of the art Air base here in Fayetteville, Pope Army Airfield. Hopefully there maybe a re-consideration for the Pig in a COIN environment. A toast to all the hog drivers and their magnificent flying machines.
Google Adsense