PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.26 MB
Favorite aerospace or maritime museums

What are some museums that you've visited that you'd particularly recommend -- especially the lesser-known ones? San Diego is a good two-for-one city, with both a great maritime museum (including the wonderful iron bark Star of India) and an aerospace museum that has the best general collection outside NASM that I know of. Smaller and a bit out of the way, but well worth checking out if you're passing by is the Owl's Head Transportation Museum in Owl's Head, Maine.

Some others in my neck of the woods that I've only just found out about are the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, Maine, the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, CT and the Glenn T. Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY. Definitely on my wish list is the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL; judging from what I've read about their collection from their website, it may be pilgrimage-worthy. And if anyone here has been to see the SS Great Britain or HMS Warrior, I'd really love to hear about it!
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2013, 04:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
If you get down to the Florida panhandle (AKA lower Alabama) it's worth making a side trip from the outstanding National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola (National Naval Aviation Museum - Home ) to see the Armament Museum ( Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin Air Force Base Fort Walton Beach Destin Florida Airplanes Fighter Jets Bombs Missiles. ) just outside Eglin Air Force Base by Ft Walton Beach (east of Pensacola). Eclectic collection of aircraft outside and plenty of things that shoot or go bang inside. Going the other direction (west) there's the USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park (USS ALABAMA BATTLESHIP ) in Mobile Alabama with WWII and later military equipment (tanks/APC/arty/etc.), 20+ aircraft (usuals like P-51 to F-14 and oddballs like a B-52, ex-CIA A-12, Redstone rocket, etc.), and the USS Drum (WWII sub) and USS Alabama (BB-60 commissioned in 1942). Interior spaces of the Drum and Alabama should be accessible (I remember going just about everywhere below decks in the Alabama - many years ago - not sure just how much is open today).

Yogi
Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Seattle-Museum of Flight, don't know about the new version of the Air and Space in Washington D.C., but the old one was awesome!

Aviation Hertitage Musem in Anchorage (at Lake Hood) is cool if you like looking at old airplanes (they still fly-em) and associated info.

Mike
Old 12-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Mid American Air Museum in Liberal, Kansas. Orientated more toward light civil aviation then most museums. 2010-09-13 Mid America Air Museum - Wayne Hulsey (whulsey)'s Photos

Estrella Warbirds Museum in Paso Robles, California. Since I'm a car and vehicle nut more then aircraft, I like this one because it has a nice collection of military vehicles besides the aircraft and the Woodland Automobile Collection with some really nice vintage racecars. 2011-08-20 Estrella Warbirds Museum Paso Robles CA - Wayne Hulsey (whulsey)'s Photos
Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Here in Oregon, You have the Tillamook Naval Air station Museum. Good number of flyable and display A/C. Including the Mini-Guppy. And of course the huge blimp hangar!
Next is the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, housing the Spruce Goose AKA the HK-1 Hercules. and other neat A/C. here are links. Tillamook Air Museum - Home Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum | Wings & Waves Waterpark | McMinnville Oregon

Jeff
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
USS Hornet Museum, Alameda Ca. One of only four Essex Class aircraft carriers surviving, Hornet has many spaces restored as well as numerous aircraft on its flight and hanger decks. I used to be a docent on her many years ago, as well as helping with her initial restoration.

Bob
Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Seattle-Museum of Flight, don't know about the new version of the Air and Space in Washington D.C., but the old one was awesome!

Aviation Hertitage Musem in Anchorage (at Lake Hood) is cool if you like looking at old airplanes (they still fly-em) and associated info.

Mike
I live in Washington and go to the Seattle-Museum of Flight SO MANY TIMES!

I love it there!

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 12-18-2013, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Can't leave out the Pima Air and Space museum down in Tucson, Arizona (Pimaair.org), which has a huge collection of aircraft, and runs tours of the AMARG next door (where the military stores all it's planes). It also offers tours of the nearby Titan Missile Museum, housed in an actual Titan missile silo.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:32 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
American Helicopter Museum and Education Center in West Chester PA

on display, one of the original 6 Osprey test vehicles
a CSAR MH-47H Chinook
H-21 Piaseki Workhorse
The Boeing 360(composite version of the CH-46)
HH-3,

Kaman SeaSprite
H-52 Pelican in USCG colors

inside displays of various small helicopters, the PV-2, Cobras, Huey's, 500's and others

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
The Sacramento Military Museum in California has a basement full of paper airplane models, most 1/33 scale. It's an unexpected surprise for anybody that likes our hobby. Looks like someone's lifetime collection, I would like more info on the creator.
Google Adsense