PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Which operating system?

With the support for windows XP going away, I am debating whether to upgrade to Windows 7 or just replace the whole tower. My RAM is maxed out as far as what can be installed and the system is 8 years old. While everything is operating just fine, I ahve reservations about installing Windows 8. Thanks.
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
As I don't have the twenty grand that would be needed to replace all the software I've managed to accumulate that won't run on windows 8, and equally important, I need a computer and not a glorified smart phone, I upgraded to Windows 7 pro. I'm not as happy with it as I was XP, it works much better for me than Windows 8. Come April, I will just disconnect from the net the 'dedicated' computers I have that are still running XP.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
os

At,
It depends what you want to do with your system, your current system specs and your budget.

Win7 is generally dependable, win8.1 has solved some problems from win8 which makes it easier to handle. Again, depends on what you want to do with your system.
When you want to chat, internet, a.s.o a tablet could be an idea, for heavy graphical needs a tower system with a graphics card and lots of memory can be required.

So I thinks it‘s a good idea to prepare a list of your requirements, look at your budget and look around on the internet. There are hundreds of sites and shops that can give you more info. In CA you are perfectly placed

Good luck !!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Thanks guys. I really have no plans of doing any more than what I am currently doing. Windows 7 would seem to be the best option due to budget constraints and what I would lose with 8. Even though I have only 4 gigs of ram, I still have 82% of clear hard drive space.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Good choice. Truth to tell, for what most of us do with computing, an Amiga 500 would work just fine (though being stuck with a 32 color pallet would be a bit confining).
Old 02-02-2014, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hmm... I would ask a couple of questions, I hope that's alright.

Are you upgrading because of fear of security vulnerabilities that may be left behind if you continue with WindowsXP?
Are you upgrading because of software compatibility with future versions of programs?
Is this your primary computer?
Are you willing to consider an alternative free operating system, namely Linux (this question also ties into software constraints, and keeping in mind that you can testdrive plenty of Linux systems before actually installing them)?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.99 MB
This matter of operating systems will soon reach all Windows users.......I believe that support for Windows 7 will end in 2016.....there are very few updates even now and no attempts were ever made to address various user complaints. Windows 8/8.1 are already heading for the door (I will not miss them) with Windows 9 having been announced. I know this does not help anyone make a decision.......but Microsoft doesn't want decisions....they want our money!!!!!! I personally would like to try Linux (Ubuntu)......maybe!!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
I like my Win 7... think it's one of the better versions, better than XP in my opinion, which I wouldn't have thought at first. I don't really like Win 8, but guess that if there is no other alternative, it will do for most tasks.
At work we have a Linux distribution and I also set it up here on a second partition but rarely use it at home. I'd love to substitute Win with it fully but the software limitations make this impossible, and the fact that Win is less complicated in some cases is another point, too.

How ever you decide, please keep us updated and tell us your experience!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I have a question...if you like Win XP, then why would you stop using it?
So, XP will not receive any more updates...so what?
Most of the updates are pointless anyway.
I turn most of them off.

Only thing left is security fixes as new security threats are discovered.
But this is mainly an issue when an OS is new.

Hackers and threats are focused at Win 7 and Win 8 now, so there isn't going
to be much to worry about now.
And as long as you are running a capable anti-virus and anti-malware package
then what is there to worry about?

I don't see the point in sticking with buggy XP...when you have got Win 7
which works so much better, with less issues.
As far as Windows goes, Win 7 is the best so far.
And as far as incompatible software goes, I have found some Win98 games that did work in XP, won't work in Win 7
...and my flatbed scanner won't work anymore with Win 7 (still trying to figure that one out).
Other than that I have had no software issues.
Remember, to run programs as "Administrator" and if necessary, in "compatibility modes".

But if you are happy with XP, comfortable with it, and have software that
might not work with Win 7, then why don't you stick with it?

If need be, just upgrade your system to keep you moving with the times.
Maybe switch up to 64 bit to take advantage of higher memory.
A faster processor...more powerful video card...will make your XP rock.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Just switched to Vista........ and so far the original concerns have not showed up. SO with some reserve Vista (so far) is an option you might think about going to. That is IF you want to stick with 32 bit systems.......... I've played with Vista Ultimate 64 bit and really have not found any need to go to 64 bit became my mother board is maxed at 4 GB of RAM......... I did find some software that wouldn't work on 64 that worked just peachie on 32.......... so I'm sticking with 32 bit (for now)

Here is the list showing MS dates for loss of support from zdnet.com..........
Attached Thumbnails
Which operating system?-windows-current-version-support-2010.jpg  

My Drawings
Google Adsense