PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
Isaac, Yuzawaya at Kichijoji had( maybe still does have) a similar range of paper models to what you described at Tokyu hands. But that was a few years ago and I wasn't a paper modeler back then and didn't give them too much thought, except that they looked very complicated.
The internet serves me very well, and I have had pleasant experiences ordering from Poland, and also from Gremir and ecard models. I prefer hard copied to downloads though. It feels like more of an event.
But on the internet you don't get the thrill of finding a dusty old model box that has been pushed to the back of the shelf and forgotten, with the old price tag still attached. That is the thing I miss.

Robert
Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
There was a little shop in my city that dedicated to paper models, i saw it on a magazine but it had already closed when i try to visit them few years ago. there's a lot of hobby shop on my city, nonetheless, and the largest one is not quite far from my school

for me getting a digital copy via download is better than getting a pre-printed kit i.e. GPM or Halinski, no shipping cost is one thing, but most importantly i can reprint the kit - or part of the kit - whenever i mess up with something. But again, that's just my opinion

One of my close friend visited Czech last year, but i forgot to ask him to bought me some paper models from there, too bad..
Old 02-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikokibert View Post
Isaac, Yuzawaya at Kichijoji had( maybe still does have) a similar range of paper models to what you described at Tokyu hands. But that was a few years ago and I wasn't a paper modeler back then and didn't give them too much thought, except that they looked very complicated.
The internet serves me very well, and I have had pleasant experiences ordering from Poland, and also from Gremir and ecard models. I prefer hard copied to downloads though. It feels like more of an event.
But on the internet you don't get the thrill of finding a dusty old model box that has been pushed to the back of the shelf and forgotten, with the old price tag still attached. That is the thing I miss.

Robert
Interesting. I may stop there. It's an easy hop from Shibuya station.

Do you recall where in the building are the models may be?

Also, there is a guy nearby that sells Polish models out of his home and on line.

Thanks

Isaac
Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Paper modeling is missing something

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
In the late 1960's and early '70's, a huge selection of paper models was available in the San Francisco Bay area at Jeffery's Toys and at Berkeley Hardware.
Berkeley Hardware stocked just about everything needed for survival except groceries.
Things have probably changed since then.
Last time I looked, Berkeley Hardware was still packed with a good selection of plastic and multi-media kits, probably the best in the Bay Area now that Franciscan Hobbies have closed thier doors. Haven't seen a paper kit anywhere around here in years.

Bob
Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Back in the 1980’s there were a couple of stores here in Philadelphia that carried card models. One was a shop that specialized in paper items such as greetings cards, fancy stationary and the like. They actually displayed several built paper kits in their store window. The one that sticks in my mind was a nice 1/33 scale Fw 190. The other was a toy store owned by a Russian immigrant. He carried a lot of Eastern European items including card models. I wish I could remember the names of the stores so I can see if they are still around.
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Interesting. I may stop there. It's an easy hop from Shibuya station.

Do you recall where in the building are the models may be?

Also, there is a guy nearby that sells Polish models out of his home and on line.

Thanks

Isaac
Last time I was there, which was a few years ago, they were on the same floor as plastic models, but nearer the cross stitch and beading section. It was one of the upper floors of the building.

Robert
Old 02-05-2014, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikokibert View Post
Where I live there is a fantastic hobby shop with thousands( really) of plastic kits to to browse. But there are no paper models to look at. For me in Australia it is an internet hobby. Do other countries have hobby shops where you can wander in and look through all the paper kits available?

Robert
same problem here in nz.thank god for ecards eh.I know in the uk there were heaps of model shops with paper models when i was there