PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.10 GB
Have been there twice. A great collection of aircraft. The behind the scenes tour was really good. I really enjoyed seeing the former Tallichet B-24. It will be missed.

Dave
Old 03-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.00 MB
It will be interesting to see what Kermit Weeks has in store for his next adventure. I had the pleasure of riding in the P51D with Kermit a few years ago. He taught me to be "gentle on the stick".
Old 03-08-2014, 06:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
For people hoping to visit before the doors are closed April 3rd will be the Splash i where the seaplanes, although sadly not my Sunderland, will be out and about and April 5th will be Mustangs both the 2 winged and 4 wheel varieties
Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Never did get to the Castle Air Museum at the former Castle AFB when I lived in the area, and I have just GOT to get out the Pima Air and Space museum one of these days before those morons in Washington close down Davis-Montham AFB (or at least ground the A-10's which would put the Base in danger of being closed.)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Pima is an independent facility and location so the closing of Davis-Montham wouldn't hurt them that much.
Google Adsense
Old 03-11-2014, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Fantasy of Flight to close

I certainly hope Mr. Weeks will continue to make his collection available to the public in some way. It is a fantastic assortment of great airplanes, and the restoration materials are equally great.

I had the pleasure of visiting a few years ago, and was so impressed! During a tour of the restoration area (or parts bin, so to speak) we saw props, wheels, and airplane pieces of all kinds. I was standing next to what looked like a black, small stove with an enormous chimney. It suddenly dawned on me that it was (and later confirmed by a guide) a "motor" from a V-1 Buzz Bomb! Where else.....

Here is a photo of Fantasy of Flight's Sunderland at Oshkosh (yr 2000, I believe). Is this the only one flying???

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Fantasy of Flight to close-sunderland.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVA View Post
I certainly hope Mr. Weeks will continue to make his collection available to the public in some way. It is a fantastic assortment of great airplanes, and the restoration materials are equally great.

I had the pleasure of visiting a few years ago, and was so impressed! During a tour of the restoration area (or parts bin, so to speak) we saw props, wheels, and airplane pieces of all kinds. I was standing next to what looked like a black, small stove with an enormous chimney. It suddenly dawned on me that it was (and later confirmed by a guide) a "motor" from a V-1 Buzz Bomb! Where else.....

Here is a photo of Fantasy of Flight's Sunderland at Oshkosh (yr 2000, I believe). Is this the only one flying???

Jim
I believe it is, though sadly, this one hasn't been in the air since the late nineties-according to the staff, there's not enough water in the adjacent lake (due to drought and the growth-related drawdown of the Central Florida acquirer) to operate her safely. And as the Sundie is a true flying boat, not enough water means "beached". During our visit, I tried to arrange for the interior to be opened for Gixergs, but they no longer had a boarding stair on the facility, and the entry hatch is the equivalent of flight of stairs off the ground. Lots of hull beneath the waterline, and through in the lift from the beaching gear, and the staff has to use a cherry picker to get to the plane. They just weren't able to arrange it.

Wyvern
Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.09 MB
I got to visit when I went to Roar and Soar in 2009. What a cool(hot) day. Planes and muscle cars plus a flying car from Colorado.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
I believe it is, though sadly, this one hasn't been in the air since the late nineties-according to the staff, there's not enough water in the adjacent lake (due to drought and the growth-related drawdown of the Central Florida acquirer) to operate her safely. And as the Sundie is a true flying boat, not enough water means "beached". During our visit, I tried to arrange for the interior to be opened for Gixergs, but they no longer had a boarding stair on the facility, and the entry hatch is the equivalent of flight of stairs off the ground. Lots of hull beneath the waterline, and through in the lift from the beaching gear, and the staff has to use a cherry picker to get to the plane. They just weren't able to arrange it.

Wyvern
Apparently they had asked if I was nimble enough to be able to climb in there, I had an accident several years ago and now have a bad back and I am often in a lot of pain. Climbing through the hatches of a submarine on display at the local Chatham Dockyard nearly killed me (it was worth it) so of course I had to reply " yep like a rat up an aqueduct, no problem here". Probably a good job they couldn't do it but I will always be grateful for the attempt to get me in the cockpit. I'm pretty sure I could of got the engines started and then a short hop for a clean get away!.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:23 AM

Her sister ship is at the Solent Sky Museum, Southamton, UK Welcome Having been converted by Short Bro's she is classed as a Sandringham the FoF boats was converted unofficially outside of Short's so is still classed as a Sunderland. Kermit Weeks did consider converting her back to a military boat but decided it was more historically important as is. I dare say they are a lot of sailors that went through the Battle of the Atlantic and a lot of people that sat hungry in the UK because of the U Boats that might disagree. Whatever lets hope she is back in the air someday. The Sky Museums gallery features video of the Duxford Flying Legends 16 Spitfire formation, nothing to do with flying boats but still Awesome!
Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Fantasy of Flight to close-4695384649_a0236ea244_z.jpg