PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Fantasy of Flight to close

It has been announced by owner Kermit Weeks that as of April 6th his Florida based aircraft collection Fantasy of Flight will be closing it's doors to the public.
As yet there is no word on what will be happening to the collections aircraft. Anyone able to get there before the closure I recommend the visit, a marvellous collection of airworthy aircraft and restoration projects.
Wyvern's thread about our visit there is here Wyvern and Gixergs: Fantasy of Flight Adventure!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Well that's terrible. I haven't visited and won't be able to anytime soon. Where did you hear this news? Its not on their website.

Edit: nevermind....found the news story. I'll just have to have a huge birthday bash there to visit once thwy convert to private events only.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
When you have your party, I'll be there!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Turner View Post
Well that's terrible. I haven't visited and won't be able to anytime soon. Where did you hear this news? Its not on their website.

Edit: nevermind....found the news story. I'll just have to have a huge birthday bash there to visit once thwy convert to private events only.
I subscribe to both FoF and Kermit Weeks on Face Book.
I slight ray of hope is they plan to open on a limited basis later in the year
Fantasy of Flight closing its doors to the public - Will focus on private events - Orlando Attractions Magazine
Old 03-04-2014, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Hopefully they would open a few days of the week to the public. I noticed that the story mentioned that they are not considered a "tourist destination" being outside of the main tourist areas. If I had remembered about them the last time I was in FL on vacation, I would have gone there. Honestly, I never saw any advertisements for them while in FL, otherwise I would have gone for sure the last time I was there. The new Legoland in FL is more than 20min from the Walt Disney World/Universal Studios area and many people still make the trek to go there...I did, I went to Legoland FL soon after they opened in 2011....the same year you and Wyvern met up. I'll have to keep an eye out on their schedule of operations.
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
3Turner makes a great point "Honestly, I never saw any advertisements for them while in FL, otherwise I would have gone for sure the last time I was there.". That applies not to just them but many other museums. I've heard of maybe a couple of dozen (especially private owned) ones closing over the last few years. Some go to a private event schedule and others fold completely especially were the founder passes away. In most cases I've never heard of them until seeing a blurb about the closing or auction of the displays. Maybe if the organization spend as much on advertising the venue as the auction company did on the sale, it might get more paying customers through the doors. And that means getting the word out to the general public, not preaching to us here in the choir. I sure most of us tend to keep a look out for museums and search for them. In my case I usually built my vacation around museums or shows (I'm single so can get away with it) to the point of hearing about one and making that my vacation for the next year. Enough of my ranting and whining. Support your local museum!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 PM

I must admit I only knew about it because Kermit Weeks bought the Sunderland and I wanted to know where it had gone so I could organise my ninja hoards to get it back, as it turned out my ninja hoard turned out to be Wyvern and we didn't get very far. I think I did come across a small leaflet while I was in Florida but certainly nothing like the advertising I expected to see.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Back in the the early 80's I lived in Florida for a very short time and got to see his museum before the terrible hurricane destroyed most of the museum and planes. They seem to have bad luck following them. Not sure what is the cause this time, but hope they pull out of it.

Isaac
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 PM

That hurricane is one of the reasons the US doesn't have a Lancaster, Kermit had his in a hangar which collapsed and crushed the Lanc. I think this time it's just not making money, the opening times had already been cut. Hopefully things will get better.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I'm sure glad we spent a full day there last November.
Google Adsense