PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Bill Guarnere died

One of the veterans depicted in Band of Brothers from E Co., 506 PIR, 101 Airborne Div.
Band of Brothers WWII Veteran ‘Wild Bill’ Guarnere Dies at 90 - TIME

The few keep getting fewer.
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Very sad to hear....

This reminded me of the paper model Julius made.

Link: Paratrooper Papercraft - Wild Bill Guarnere

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
This is sad. I had the opportunity to meet Bill and a few others from this famous group a few years back at the local air museum. They had a special event with them and opened up the museum's C-47 to the event guests. All of them were a great bunch of guys. I remember Bill wanted to stop and see what we were doing with a group of flight camp kids that were there at the same time. He was a very kind man from my personal experience.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.02 MB
every time i read anything about these guys passing it brings me nearly to tears. i salute each and every one of them
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
Sorry to hear that he is gone, men like him are few and far between. The ranks of World War II vets are thinning very quickly, my dad was probably among some of the youngest to see combat and he is going on 88 years old. In the not so distant future there will be none of them left and we all owe them a great deal. I have often been with my dad when strangers have come up to him, thanked him for his service and shook his hand and although he never says much about it the look on his face tells a lot, it makes him feel proud of the job he did and prouder still just to be an American. So if you get the chance to thank a WWII vet for his service please do so before it is too late.
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Rest in peace Bill, I can only pray that his family fully realizes the contribution that he and the others shaped our country and the world for the better.

I think the best way to honor them is to keep up the thanks to our current servicemen and women and veterans as best we are able. Volunteer or contribute what you can, when you can.

Anytime I see someone in uniform as I travel through airports, I try to make my way over and personally thank them and their family for service and sacrifice to our country. If I can, I will buy them a meal. I have given away upgrades to first-class. I don't do this for any special merit, I am glad to just be able to make their life a little more enjoyable.

It was an honor to serve.

Best Regards,
Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
There was a news report a few days ago about some runners in San Jose, California honoring a WW2 vet who had put on his uniform to watch them run by and honor them. The runners started coming over to shake his hand and thank him.

All of my uncles that fought in WW2 are dead. One was killed at Guadalcanal, three were captured in Italy and were POWs in Germany, one participated in the invasion of southern France and the advance into central Europe, three others were in the Pacific with McArthur's bunch.