PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-08-2014, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.86 MB
the Doolittle raiders

here is something that I did not know until someone sent me a link to the site of the Doolittle raiders and the reunions,
only 4 of these true AMERICAN HEROES left when I look at the pics I get teary eyed they were the GREATEST GENERATION!!!!
Doolittle Tokyo Raiders - Official Web Site of the Raiders
Attached Thumbnails
the Doolittle raiders-doolittl.jpeg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Unfortunately....the creator takes Heros just as readily as he does us normal folk....but he does let us enjoy their Indomitable spirit for a bit first!!! I still have my freedom and right to choose because of those 4 fellas, and a lot of others like them! Thank you!!
Mike
Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Awesome post! Thanks for the link!

A great book written by their leader: I Could Never Be so Lucky Again, By Jimmy Doolittle.

Mike
Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Thanks for the photo. Here at Fort Bragg NC, there are still some old timers left, who jumped into North Africa and each main combat jump after that. One of them to my great surprise was a member of Merrils Maurauders. There are very few of them left from the great generation. When I joined the military in 1968, there were still active duty veterans that fought in WWII. When I was a member of the Rangers in 1974, we had a Sgt Major who was forced into retirement, he was one of the survivors of Point du Hoc. The army was all he new, he died two weeks into his retirement and never received his first pension. These great men are dwindling in numbers. God bless each and every one of them.

By the way, no one in that photo looks like Ben Afleck! (Jokingly)
Old 05-08-2014, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Back in the late 70s I worked with a man named Herb. He had been with Merril's marauders and would never speak of anything that he had experienced. It was as if he did'nt want to remember. The greatest generation went through hell for us and it is sad that so many of them are passing before they can pass their experinces down to u. When they are gone, no one will remember the horrors total warfare and another generation will have repat it because we never seem to learn from our mistakes. Any one born after 1970 seems to have never heard of our true heroes from the past. To them hero is used to describe an over paid sports figure or some trashy pop star.
Google Adsense
Old 05-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.09 MB
One of these groups will never have another reunion because everybody is getting to old to travel.