PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
Two questions

1. My old, well used cutting mat is in sad shape, is there any way to rescue it from the trash bin before buying a new one? I have washed it, cleaned it but the surface is rough and abraded.

2. Sometimes when building a model I have to search almost every page to find one part that must not have fit on the page where related parts are place. It would be nice if all pages were numbered and then a list where it tells what page each part is on :D
Google Adsense
Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Hay Padre,

I've broke out the random orbital sander and was able to bring one of my old cutting mat back to life. If it ain't too terribly bad this may work for you.

On the parts thing.......... for me most of the builds I do don't have too many parts, so it's not a problem for me.......... but after looking at the Hiei I can understand.

john

My Drawings
Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
What grit paper?

Some models have 30 pages and I get lost sometimes.........old age, glasses, short attention span..........something like that.:p
Old 04-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Can you flip it over and use the back, or is it lined with a different type of material?

Don't know what to tell you about finding randomly placed parts....Makes for good study material when in the bathroom for long constitutions.:D
Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Help...maybe?

I will number my own parts sometimes, even adding letters on the tabs if the number of parts is large and the model requires pre-fit. This can be very helpful if the model is unusual and it may be difficult to determine what something was after its cut from the sheet. Think of this as doing an inventory program prior to cutting it.

Sometimes, especially if I'm doing multiple kits at the same time or have to put one aside for a while, I'll note my code on the instruction sheet so I don't forget where I was and what I was trying to do.

Hope this helps!

The DC
Google Adsense
Old 04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I know I've seen people who will cut out all pieces ahead of time, either outlined or entire pieces, and put them into some sort of storage container by assembly number. Ziplock bags work wonders for part storage, while I don't cut everything out ahead of time - when I get parts that are on small enough pieces of paper I start collecting them into ziplock bags.
And as stated, I spend hours (not just in the john) building my kits in my head, to try and familiarize myself for when I do sit down to actually build them.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
.. new year, a new cutting mat ... the price in Germany is very low ..

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Start with a larger grit (40)...... this will take off CA glue and go throught some of the deep cuts.......then work your way down to 100 or lower... it smoothed mine out.......

But Wilfred is correct.......... the money we save by not buying plastic kits justifies a new mat whenever your wear out the old one :p

My Drawings