PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-31-2014, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
Angry this should not happened to a?

an 26 student paper sharing online This is not right! and yes it has to do with paper sharing like we do and this poor student is getting copyright law infringement! just for sharing his work with others I feel that the governmint is taking this too seriously! not even paying for it at all or just sharing one to others! in my opinion! this is getting out of hand of wanting to share your stuff with other people! get me wrong if I'm readying this wrong! I don't know how this will affect us all what do you think of the sad story I just found? oh I forgot it's here!

Student Could Get 8 Years for Sharing Paper Online - He falls foul of tough Colombian copyright law
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2014, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Well, i didn't read anywhere saying the student asked the author permission to redistribute his/her work much like we would/should ask the original designer before we share the model file with anyone.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:43 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
It just shows the danger of assuming that sharing a file is OK just because it's online already and you credit the author. Fair warning to those who do.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
The problem is he shares the paper through a file sharing site, probably without the original author's consent. But i cannot judge further since the news doesn't state whether the student has the author permission or not, or where the student got the original paper

Sure thing is, this behavior of sharing through file-sharing sites without author's consent is unacceptable even in paper modeling, but sharing links to where the file is originally posted (like paper-replika or papermau did) is more acceptable
Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
After reading the student's "open letter" it seems that he may have copied the paper from a library reference publication. He found a reference to the study on facebook but had to travel to Bogota to access it at a library. If the paper was actually published online he could have simply shared a link to it.

While I feel very sorry for the young man in question, sometimes "sharing" is indeed a crime.

Curt
Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
Thumbs down

Is a politically motivated show trial really so much more important than the war on Drugs?
It sure looks that way.
After all, knowledge & caring about life on Earth is sooo much more dangerous than cocaine & drug-lords.