PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-12-2014, 07:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.12 MB
And one doesn't have to build them and one can always do one's own designs instead.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Well put thorst.

I haven't built any of his models yet, but I've had a lot of them downloaded for ages and looking forward to building them. The level of detail that he imparts is astounding, his latest design is certainly testament to that. That some of the detail may not be readily visible doesn't bother me one bit, I've built models that you can't see everything, but I know it's there.

I'm sorry Diderick, I really don't get your last two criticisms. Sell it instead of give it away in order to make it more accessible? But, I think your last comment is actually out of line, and incorrect. (Do you have any data to support the assertion that paper modeling is in decline, or is this just your opinion?) UHU doesn't simply design models, he builds them. It is possible to do it. That he didn't make it easy for you, or 'most' modelers, he shouldn't be faulted for that.
It's easy to skip detail, it's not always so easy add. You're never going to make a Fiddlers Green model look like Halinski. (I don't mean to insult FD; it's an apples/oranges thing.)

I'm not fond of tiny pieces, I've had a tremor most my life and lately its started to interfere with my ability to do fine detail, but the fault is not with the model, it's with me.

Isaac Asimov
Old 11-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Good Evening,

Though I have not build UHU's Orion yet (but I will!), I've built his Moon Bus and Aries. His models are amazing replicas of what we see in the movies. These are not limited to screen designs, but his very instructions are photos of his actual construction. It's true his models are complex and take more skill to build, but for me, that increased the attraction of this hobby, in that UHU made it possible for us to have incredible kits of these subjects, and shows us what can be done in the design realm. I am so grateful to him for his work, and so impressed he has made these available to us for no charge.

Take care,
Kurt
Old 11-12-2014, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
Diderick, I am in no contact to UHU, and have not build the Orion, but enjoyed following him on the design and build process.

I think your questions are a bit strange. I'd fully agree with most of your points, if he would design and build the models for the purpose of selling it or making the builder's life easy. But as I understand it, he designs the models for his own joy and how he wants a model to be. As a side effect, he shares it with all interested.

So your question if "a reasonable English translation [is] too much to ask", I think the answer is yes. He takes no money, so everything he gives us is more than you should ask for. Be greatful for what you get.

Thorsten
Honestly, when a person is letting us follow along with his design and build, and then shares the templates and build threads, we should be thankful. I think some folks go overboard with praise for this designer, and I think that his manner of distribution is 'quirky', but these are his models, and he has the right to do with them as he sees fit.

Most of his models will probably be forever beyond my abilities (Tinkerbell is the only one that I actually completed), but being able to follow a master builder is definitely something I appreciate.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Well said, sir, well said!
Google Adsense
Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
It's all about perspective isn't it?

"They are always destined for the dustbin in the end. And that is as it should be: us modellers, we do not produce art, our enjoyment is not the end product, but the making of it".

The above quote reflects the differing perspective. UHU obviously feels differently, as do I and many others.

I'm all for free speech and opinion, but to criticise someone else's designs simply because you find them tough is a bit unfair. What you may find overly complex, someone else will see as a challenge (as evidenced by numerous builds of his designs). I'm not an Uhu fanboy in anyway, however I can admire the effort he puts into designing the kits. His models are not commercial kits, as such, what gives us the right to judge him for how complex they are?

If the only thing that comes out of his designs is inspiring someone else to design and/or build at a higher level, then the paper modelling community is all the better for it.

Last edited by nikischutt; 11-12-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
The opening post in this thread disgusts me. It is totally outside the bounds of the spirit of this community and I believe the author's membership of this community should be reviewed.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:01 AM

Location: I live in Johanensburg South Africa, the real Gangsters Paradise!
Total Downloaded: 40.11 MB
At the risk of backlash, I can agree with you to a certain extent, sometimes the designs are almost impossible to build even for experienced modellers and it is necessary to make changes to the design in order to ease the building process. I have found this the best solution, if it doesn't work the first time, print out a new one and change it until it does. I have in the past made changes to the designs from UHU to make it easier to build or to correct small errors but have been unsuccessful in getting permission from the original designer to upload the changes or even send them through to him to add to his design so alas the changes stay on my computer until such time as consent arrives!

My suggestion is just change the design to work for you and find what works!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Unhappy

I am very sorry
Old 11-13-2014, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhu02 View Post
I am very sorry
no , please do not dignify this fool with your regret. you have shared not only your builds with us but so generously your designs too and we an only be grateful for your skill and generosity. While I have only built one of your designs, Barbarella's Spaceship, I found it an enjoyable build and I always follow all your builds in awe of your skill. Your generosity and amazing skill have only enriched the paper modelling community.
Google Adsense