PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
UHU - over the top?

OK, so I know that UHU is regarded as a genius, almost a saint. So dare I vent some criticism here?

First of all, a serious question: How many of you actually built this Orion III model? Please react!!

I am a fairly experienced builder. So I downloaded the Orion III (from 2001: a Space Odyssey). One takes the sometimes not very clear instruction pictures for granted. I studied the first few stages of the build - a very large amount of attention is paid to the passenger cabin, which is completely invisible once the fuselage is half complete. Then the 'windows' along the side of the fuselage. One is expected to be able to fold a 1 mm edge at right angles. Then the sides windows are 'protected by parts which have to be folded and glued double. Ok for the bigger ones, ca 3 mms, but impossible for the smaller ones, 1 to 2 mms each. Had UHU used a well known technique for this sort of double parts (always used by WMV and many other designers) it might have been slightly easier. And why not offer these almost impossible details as an option, with windows drawn for the less fanatical detail builders?

Even UHU's great designs would gain by some feedback from medium experienced builders. And is a reasonable English translation too much to ask?!

I suggest someone cooperate with UHU to make some of his models more accessible, then offer them for sale via Ecardmodels. I feel quite sure they would become a success.

One reason for the gradual decrease of interest in paper modelling is probably just this: nowadays, models are designed on screen, with details blown up. The designer forgets that most real life builders just may not have the right sort of fingers to build 1 mm parts...
Google Adsense
Old 11-12-2014, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Hi Diderick,

I made a start on this kit just to work out a build-plan for myself. I got as far as the cabin interior and parked in the pending pile as do-able. I got around the (very) small folds by gluing parts 5 & 7 to another sheet of equal thickness and then just halved the parts as they were cut out.

All the best and happy modelling

Bernie
Old 11-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
UHU made the BSG Viper. It is a bit too small and fiddly for my fingers so I decided to upscale it to about 1/20 scale. The parts were easier to fold but you have to watch out for the thickness of some parts since if they are upscaled, there is some fit problems which need to be adjusted for. Also, he is very detailed oriented and at a bigger scale, you can add more greebles and make it look a bit more enhanced. Here is a photo of my Viper at a larger scale. The same can be accomplished with his other models to include the Orion.
Attached Thumbnails
UHU - over the top?-242.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
UHU made the BSG Viper. It is a bit too small and fiddly for my fingers so I decided to upscale it to about 1/20 scale. The parts were easier to fold but you have to watch out for the thickness of some parts since if they are upscaled, there is some fit problems which need to be adjusted for. Also, he is very detailed oriented and at a bigger scale, you can add more greebles and make it look a bit more enhanced. Here is a photo of my Viper at a larger scale. The same can be accomplished with his other models to include the Orion.
I forgot to add that I printed mine out on A3, which took it to 1/72 scale. Saying that, I still had problems with folding small stuff, but there is always a work-around.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
Made this one for my girl...
UHU - over the top?-dsc02026-medium-.jpg
UHU - over the top?-dsc02029-medium-.jpg
NO INTERIORS ,FLAT WINDOWS
A-7 olympus

Last edited by asaf; 11-12-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
How many of you actually built...
lol...I ain't sayin' a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
... nowadays, models are designed on screen, with details blown up. The designer forgets that most real life builders just may not have the right sort of fingers to build 1 mm parts...
I never forget this!!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaf View Post
Made this one for my girl...
Attachment 226702
Attachment 226703
NO INTERIORS ,FLAT WINDOWS
Nice!

With all the "wraps" and special paint schemes on aircraft today, this would fit right in!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Hi Diderick, about your question "*How many of you actually built this Orion III model? " , I am one of those.
I'm not so experienced but I picked up the challenge ( see my signature ), and it's a true challenge. I temporary suspended the build but I think that is doable. For the interior I decided to enlighten it with leds.
I think that the paper models world is so beautiful and attracting for the variety of its offer. You can find the model right for your skill or the one that pushes your skill beyond and it is the case of the sensei UHU.
About the Orion III there's the model of Gary Pilsworth. I built it some years ago and I was very satisfied.

Best, Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 11-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Diderick, I am in no contact to UHU, and have not build the Orion, but enjoyed following him on the design and build process.

I think your questions are a bit strange. I'd fully agree with most of your points, if he would design and build the models for the purpose of selling it or making the builder's life easy. But as I understand it, he designs the models for his own joy and how he wants a model to be. As a side effect, he shares it with all interested.

So your question if "a reasonable English translation [is] too much to ask", I think the answer is yes. He takes no money, so everything he gives us is more than you should ask for. Be greatful for what you get.

Thorsten
Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Hes a gifted designer....that has an almost CULT like following!
But the MOST important comment i could make without offending anyone, is their FREE!!!!
Mike
Google Adsense