PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-27-2014, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Disaster

I hope you all had a better holiday than we did. The short version, fire. We have no place to live until at least Monday. A dryer fire, although it's weird, no damage inside it at all. Just scorching on the outside and burnt clothes around it. The fire dept trashed the house opening windows. Now they won't let us back in until things can be inspected. Not til Monday of course. Don't know what we're going to do...

Scott K
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2014, 11:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
Well that's terrible! Was anyone hurt?

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize
Old 11-27-2014, 11:38 PM

My son and I were treated for smoke inhalation, but my wife is ok. One of our cats is unaccounted for. I pray she's just hiding. We're not supposed to go in the house until it's inspected, so couldn't take too much time looking. I'm apparently risking a fine if we get caught. Currently at the neighbors house, but they drink and I don't. 'Nuff said.

Scott K.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
Sounds like a bad situation but I hope that you'll be able to move in quickly...Glad everybody's fine,
NH78
Old 11-28-2014, 06:57 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I'm glad everyone is OK. Will you be making an insurance claim? One of those cleanup services (Service-Pro, etc) should be able to get your place shipshape in short order.
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2014, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Everyone OK, you have something to be thankful for. Hope everything works out well for you. Maybe your insurance cvoers a hotel if you're displaced?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:43 AM

Wish I could say our insurance would help, but we don't have any. For some reason, the fact that our shed is in poor shape made them refuse to renew our last policy. Meanwhile. I was referred to the Red Cross, and we expect them in a few hours. They're still stretched thin because of all problems in the buffalo snowstorm area. They did say we'll get put up in a motel for a couple of nights.

More as I learn it.

Scott K.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
I am very sorry to hear about this. But it could have been much worse. Thankfully no one was injured and the house can be fixed. Hopefully the cat is hunkered down somewhere and will make an appearance when things settle down. Let's hope the Red Cross can provide or direct you to some financial assistance.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thank God you are all ok. I hope all goes well with everything you need. Will be thinking about you. Take care.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:02 PM

Thanks guys. Red Cross did indeed put us up in a local hotel for the next three nights. I spoke to the building inspector. It's ok for us to go inside to get things as needed, and to look for our missing kitty. She must be really scared still, as no sign of her yet. He just thinks it will be best if we wait until the place airs out more before spending the night there again. I did discover some scary signs that the fire was stopped just short of flashing over and becoming much worse. Thank Heaven I had more than one good size fire extinguisher available. I think I can safely say my son and I saved our house!

As soon as I got into our room for tonight, I just crashed on one of the beds and was out like a light. Really need some good rest. My wife and son just got back with some food, so time for our first decent meal in the past couple of days.

Scott K.
Google Adsense