PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Could someone say something on the quality and fit of these kits comparing them to, let's say gpm?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to ChienChengWei
Personally, I prefer GPM and Halinski models. The quality and fit is always guaranteed. As long as you are patient of small parts, they will give you a wonderful experience. Modelik models are also nice and worthy to give them a try.

Last edited by ChienChengWei; 07-13-2007 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I would agree with that synopsis
Chris
Old 07-13-2007, 06:31 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
keep in mind, that the current crop of Fly Model kits have not been re-released or updated like the GPM and Halinski kits.

I have some Fly Model kits, and I would put them on par with the GPM and Halinski kits from the '90's.
They still have that handdrawn quality to them, but if we look at Frank Unger's build of the Fly Model Huey Gunship, I think you could be presuaded

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
That is a nice one isnt it!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Facilitator

Total Downloaded: 368.13 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I sympathize with you Bill as I can not understand Polish either. I have been trying, to get the publishers to include English instructions, but while some have, other like Gomix have not. That said, you have given me an idea. I will email the publisher and ask if it would be ok to include the Polish instructions with diagrams in our article section. That would give members a chance to convert the Polish instructions into English overtime.
Well we have a start. I have talked with a couple publishers and they are allowing up to post the English instructions for their models on the forum. Which is a start. Now to see if we can translate some of their Polish instructions for their models that do not have English instructions. Should be up sometime over the weekend. Just thought you might want to know.

Jason
Old 09-18-2007, 12:57 PM

The current run of Fly models are still shy of Halinski detail (but then what isn't), but the latest are very well detailed and marvelous fit. I did their PZL-23 not too long ago, their UH-1 and getting ready to start their PZL 37. and had no kit related problems at all.
If you've only seen their older hand drawn kits, check out their latest ones.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 PM

The older editions with a borderless cover are certainly not up to today's standards and some are pretty much unbuildable as published. Having said that, there are many examples of older Fly/Gomix products that dedicated, skilled builders have turned into excellent showpieces. This usually involves scanning, recoloring and, in some cases, redesigning components.

If you stick with the Fly/Gomix reprints with the yellow border on the cover I think you will be pleased with the quality. Many appear to have been redrawn with computer graphics; colors are much better and the fit is much improved. I cannot put them on a par with current Halinski, GPM or Orlik products but they are certainly worth a look, especially when they have the only model of a given subject.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Eternal Member

Fly Model used to have terrible fit and finish. I got one 3-plane kit, and was able to build an I-16 (with fit corrections), but ran into printing problems (blotches and missing color) on the other two. They may have improved, but I've stayed away from them since then. Maybe I should look at some of their more recent offerings....

www.geoghegan.us
Current build: GPM Halberstadt DII