PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-12-2015, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Paper bargain?

Before now, Office Depot or Staples was my automatic destination when I needed paper for models -- $14 or $15 for 250 sheets. But just the other day, I saw a similar package of 110-pound paper at Sam's Club for half that price. It's a shame that Sam's didn't have 67-pound paper, too, but I'll sure keep that store in mind the next time I need the heavy stuff.

But this prompts the question of bargains on paper. I've seen many threads about reducing the cost of ink, but none on paper. Any other recommendations out there?

Yale
Google Adsense
Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I found about the same deal for 110 lb at Fred Meyers. I also get medium tagboard (about equivalent to 67 lb) from Officeworld.com. The advantage of the tagboard is it comes in 9 inch by 12 inch size, so A-4 prints out on it quite nicely. My next order I will try the heavy weight tagboard, which I think is equivalent to 110 lb stock. Nice thing about officeworld is that shipping is free for orders over $50. I also get 67 lb cardstock at one of our local independent department stores, which at one time was affiliated with Ben Franklins. It is from the scrapbooking department and runs about 5 cents per sheet...even comes in colors.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.67 MB
I get my 110lb/150 sheets for about $7 at Walmart, and 67lb/250 sheets for the same price from Amazon with free Prime shipping.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yes, the package of 110lb/199gsm card stock at Sam's Club is a nice bargain at 250 sheets for between $7 and $8 USD. It is kind of surprising that the price has stayed below $8 USD over the years.

I also buy the Pacon tagboard from OfficeWorld.com in both the medium weight and heavyweight variants. The heavyweight measures out to 0.027mm /0.0105" thick. That is around 140# index /252gsm. It has gone through a Canon and an Epson printer without any trouble so far. A bonus with the 9"x12" size is when trimmed to either USLtr or A4 size there are strips left over that can be used for structural components and glue strips. OfficeWorld.com also has larger sizes of tagboard available in both weights for large format printing. 18"x12", 24"x18", and 36"x24". All sizes available in either manilla or white.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
So I checked on line, learning that Sam's Club offers 67-lb. paper at $7.68 for 250 sheets, with free shipping. The catch is that ivory is the closest color to white.

Wal-Mart on line offers 250 sheets of 67-lb. paper for $7.49 -- but wants $6.11 for shipping!

Amazon has 250 sheets of white, 67-lb. paper for $6.98 plus shipping, but shipping's free if your order totals $35. (Amazon also offers a used version of this product for $9.95 -- and doesn't that pique your curiosity?)
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
Joanns craft store regularly has 50% off coupons.

I also buy my paper from Kelly Paper. No shipping cost since they have a local store in my area. They are West Coast based chain, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada and Arizona. The prices I pay are the same that production print shops pay. One thing I like is I can get the same paper in different weights and sizes which means an exact color match and the same results in color when printing images on it. So if I need more strength in certain areas I can use heavy weight and if I need thinner paper that is also possible.