PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-09-2007, 07:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Wow, Dan, that is the most crazily detailed thing I've seen yet.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Armor! love it! Thanks for the link, Dan!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
jrts, in his build report on the GreMir Hunt Class destroyer Chiddingfold, said in one of his posts: "the reason the hull has a shine to it is the paint was still wet." Perhaps he can weigh in on this painting issue.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The ISU-152 build has been going on since Sept 2005. I don't think I'd have the patience to build over that time. I remember a build of a Willys Jeep by the same guy which was similarly detailed. It is an amazing build though.

Anyone remember if it's the same modeler that did the SiG-33 gun with home made photo-etch parts?

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.67 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post

Anyone remember if it's the same modeler that did the SiG-33 gun with home made photo-etch parts?
It is the same guy. Check out his avatar photo.
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2007, 08:05 AM

I have several kits that are line drawings basically, are meant to be painted after assembly. I also scratchbuild, which must be painted later.

Last edited by Phil; 08-10-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: dork!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
That's about the most amazing thing I've ever seen in card modeling. Dang, watching that sort of talent is just humbling to the max!

But one of the things I like about card modeling is that you DON'T have to paint everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
Here is an amazing build at the other site that appears to have every piece painted (Although he's from Vienna, not Poland ). One of the attractions to card modeling for me is that it doesn't need it - color some edges and occassionally the back of a piece and it's all good.
Ultimately, like anything that's a hobby, it's all up to you and what you want to do with the model.

Last edited by rlwhitt; 08-10-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Well said, Julian. I think you've nicely summarized how I see the plastic vs card worlds. For them it really is all about the finish, the assembly is almost automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy The Bear View Post
It depends on the model.... Lots of people do paint their models. The difference you will find with card and paper models, is that in many cases a lot of the detail in the model is actually in the surface textures. We tend to view them slightly differently to the way that plastic modelers view their models.

With plastic models, the art is in the finishing.... filler, paint, decals etc etc.... With card models the art is more to do with the construction itself. We make many of the detail parts that arrive already injection molded in a plastic kit and in most cases paper ones look significantly more like the real object than plastic ones do.

Take a good look through build threads and you will find people painting and weathering tyres on vehicles to make them look like rubber. Painting of chassis components on things like, for example, a Jeep, is very common. Painting with metallic paints to simulate metal surfaces is also quite common.

It's an entirely different way of looking at model building... Paper and card models are much more about the journey to get there than they are about the finished model. We tend to view plastic kits as an easy short cut model that has very little of the builders personality in it. Paper and card models are much more than that. They embody the process to construct them and have something of the builder in each and every one of them. It's much more like scratch building than kit building.

The short answer is yes we do use paint, but it's not always (in fact mostly not) necessary.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Old 08-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhitt View Post
That's about the most amazing thing I've ever seen in card modeling. Dang, watching that sort of talen is just humbling to the max!

Heh - I find your builds humbling - so you can imagine how I feel about his :D

Seriously though, regardless of medium he has built one of the most detailed and realistic models of anything I've ever seen. And he's documented it such that if you wanted to - you could repeat what he's done (albeit with a ton of practice attempts required). That is a thread that I'm surely going to attempt to archive for myself - I just don't know the best way to include the text as well as the pictures.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Thanks for the viewpoints

That was sort of the feeling I was getting about the different approach. I'm trying to do I guess what would be something inbetween. I'm looking at using paper with the plastic models as a scratchbuilding material. For ex., creating bodypanels out of paper to either replace the overthick plastic ones or to create a new body. The other approach is to do some of the models only available in paper, but adapting in plastic kit parts for additional detailing. Whichever way I do, I've been learning a lot already here and enjoying looking at some great models
Google Adsense