PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-07-2015, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
Question Testors Enamel Paint warning

I have recently purchased testors enamel paint (Testors)
and so far it has worked fine, but I do have a question. I noticed on the box it said something about it is related to reproductive problems and cancers. Now, I love this whole modeling hobby with all of my heart, but if it is going to mess up little paperengineer jr and give me cancer, then I may need a new type of paint. Does anyone know how long you need to be exposed to have these effects? Any info on this whole warning thing is appreciated. I just got some on my hand and was going to get it off when I read that so yeah I freaked out. Thanks in advance guys

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2015, 10:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
If you drink a couple of bottles of it or stick your head in a bag filled with it for an hour. Its the thinners that are the most harmful. Its required to be labeled that by the overcautious regulations in California.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
PE
Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about the warning on the paint bottle. Testors has been around for years. This type of warning is no different than those you find on many other household items.
If you get paint on your skin just wash it off with soap an water. If you are really concerned about this you could always put on a pair of latex gloves. If you still are not comfortable wit this switch over to a non toxic water based acrylic craft paint. That's what I use for paper models. The most important thing is that you enjoy this hobby and have fun.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
i have had enamel paints get into cuts, and not affect me in any way when i used to build plastic, and this was back in the 80's

If you are really worried about those items you mentioned, then switch to the acrylic version

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
I've used enamel paints for years and they haven't affected me a bit.
Also, I've used enaml paints fo yeers an they havent affected me a bitttt. in fact, I've used enamel paaintts fer years and they haven't affected... wait, what were we talkin bout??

No, actually, I hate the smell of enamels and lacquers. Over time they can't be very good for you. I use acrylic, mainly Tamiya, whenever possible, except for a few enamel metalizers that give an effect I can't get any other way, and I only use them in my spray booth which exhausts outside.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
query Testors for the MSDS (material safety and data sheet). That will give you all the relevant safety information you need for the safe use of the product. The government requires them to release information about the hazards in an expanded standard format. Link given below.

Testors
Old 02-08-2015, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
If you drink a couple of bottles of it or stick your head in a bag filled with it for an hour. Its the thinners that are the most harmful. Its required to be labeled that by the overcautious regulations in California.
Oops. Well, I got thirsty while modeling and the fridge is sooo far...

Seriously though, thanks. You guys really helped. I'm glad nothing's wrong.

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize
Old 02-08-2015, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
Testor in the small square bottles are essentual.
Get white, flat white, flat black, Matalic red and green, gold, brass, copper, and two "silver" colors like steel, chrome, or flat aluminum Wood tan or earth. and rust.
Also a con of enamal or lacqure thiner from Home Depot.
Why,I'm a paper modeler ?
The white's for edge coloring, lighting thouse other colors painting that tooth pick antena on the witer camafodged whatever.
Gold bronze or brass is for that tiny cap or line on an engine.
Now the steel or slver is to dry brush a couple of wear spots onthe edge o
smething metalYou want to almost touch it. When the steel is dry Barely touch it with the rust and rub it off.
VERY light dry brushing an tire treads and the edgess of wheel wells does wonders sometime.
Less is always mor when painting on paper.
Be aware that this is harracy and one member is no above burning you at the stake.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Topical subjedct.

You can use acrylics as an alternative. There are some really good ones on the market that are just as good as enamels.

I changed to acrylics years ago - more of a problem then the enamel paint itself is the thinners used to thin the paint or clean brushes.

I knocked a small bottle of enamel thinners over once and had a real breath of all the muck as a result. I actually ended up the next day coughing up what can best be described as "plastic" glop.

I then used to clamp my bottles of thinners in an adjustable wrench after that so they would NOT get knocked over!
Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Don't let the MSDS sheet scare you.
Even the MSDS sheet for water says, "Not for human consumption".
http://www.flinnsci.com/Documents/MSDS/WXYZ/Water.pdf

Use water based acrylic paints to avoid exposure to solvent fumes from enamel paints.
Google Adsense

Tags
painting