PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Hobbies and Fear of Failing

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/o...ediocrity.html
Google Adsense
Old 10-11-2018, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I'll second that.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
How true....
Old 10-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I agree.It's getting hard to find anyone with hobby and I don't think I have met more than a handful of opposite sex having any kind of hobby so this is definitely a non-stater in conversation.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:10 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Interesting article. And true.

A lot of the issues of recreation/hobbies, and the fear of failing or the need to excel, stem from, likely, two areas....

1. The need to "keep up with the Jones..."

Sadly this aspect seems to now really dominate everything.

Branded clothing, gadgets, the "right" car, a house in the "right area", the right image and so on.......

Once upon a time, I used to rock climb. We made our own chocks, used cable laid rope, and owned a couple of decent carabiners (which were cheap enough to be bought by a schoolboy/girl). We tied the rope around ourselves - nowadays you can spend a fortune to buy a harness that does the same thing. We abseiled with the rope and our hands. We climbed in boots or takkies. Today if you want the right gear, climbing is for the rich. Coloured ropes and harnesses. Colour co-ordinated carabiners, and a new style of harness, belay device and abseil device every year. And so on....

The same approach applies in every other amateur sport - seen the cost of a racing bike nowadays? Did you know you also need special shoes, sock and shorts as well?

If you want to go running, the same - special running shoes, shorts and the obligatory styled t-shirt and cap will all make you go faster - or will they? Rodger Bannister broke the four-minute mile with ordinary running shoes from the local shop, white sports shorts and a vest. OK - for the occasion the latter had a speed stripe!

2. The need to look your best and compete.
Quite simply just the need to impress and get other people talking. Having the best is critical. Social Media is good for this

--------------------------------------------

And then you get people who do not really care too much about others perceptions of what they do do, and are happy in themselves with their lives and hobbies.

Like paper modellers perhaps?

Can you image if paper modelling was an activity desired by the staus seeking social media masses?
  • To start with you would need name branded tools. These would be the same as the tools today except that they would be weird shapes (new shape every annual release), colour coordinated (to match your Louis Vitton Pro Paper Modelling Shirt and cap) and very very fashionable.
  • Special modelling desk. Antique ones. High tech ones made of carbon fibre.
  • Ergonomically designed modelling chair to match. More carbon fibre. Drone grade aluminium.
  • Electronic climate controlled paper storage.
  • "Special" paper - designed for modellers, by modellers. Actually the same but in smaller packets and really special packing, that you will be proud to carry and take selfies with in public! And it will cost a fortune, but its worth for the packing....... Which is NOT biodegradable and is fade resistant so you can pin it the front lawn to impress neighbours (who will sneak over when you are out so they can take photos with it).
  • Custom cases for the finished product - the list is endless.....
  • And models would be very very simple - so they can be quickly built - because it's all now about the images and the bits and the money, not really the actual modelling!

Last edited by Kevin WS; 10-12-2018 at 02:50 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-12-2018, 03:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
It's always seemed to me that hobbies are a very individual thing and hobbies celebrate an individual world view over collective viewpoints. There seems to be a drive towards collectivist views of society in the West represented by various ideologies. This, to me, is strange, because much of the evolution of western societies has been about creating a framework where individuals can be free to pursue whatever they choose. Last century was a pretty good demonstration of where collectivist views of society lead - to the Gulag and extermination camps.

I think the author of NYT article only gets part of the problem, that of the commodification of everything and a vacuous desire for unattainable perfection. To me there is a more fundamental issue of the integrity of the individual in society to choose that which appeals and amuses him/her without reference to anyone else.

Charlie