PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-22-2015, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Hey Johnny, don't know how skiffle is fairing, but here in the States bluegrass over the last few years has had a big revival--both in traditional and what's being called the 'New Grass' movement along with a lot of influence on the whole Americana music scene.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Or, for that matter, the white album by the Beatles?

Doug, where's that ELO thread you spoke of?
Rick posted the link but here it is again:
Vintage and "antique" models

Someone requested a model be made of the spaceship on the album cover so Gary Pilsworth made one that is now available in Downloads.
ELO Spaceship
Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Hey Johnny, don't know how skiffle is fairing, but here in the States bluegrass over the last few years has had a big revival--both in traditional and what's being called the 'New Grass' movement along with a lot of influence on the whole Americana music scene.
Proper (Dare I say Folk) music never dies Whulsey. It just goes underground fer a bit before resurfacing again. I dunno about Skiffle though. Even it's parent (Trad Jazz) hasn't made a come back yet.

Although I haven't been in touch for a few years now (Bin just a tad distracted by my health), far as I know the granddaddy of British skiffle is still at it. I'm pretty damn sure someone would have told me if Chas McDevitt had cashed in his chips. It's been a few years now, but he was still strummin' last time I saw him.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nancy Whiskey and the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group on The Ed Sullivan Show performing "Freight Train"

Seems to have been quite a popular rendition of the song.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:52 PM

Cool, but that was a very americanised performance Doug. All them shiny shirts and fancy instruments I like the down and dirty stuff ... tea-chest bass, glass or tin washboard, 20 year old flat top guitars and recorded in someone basement for the echo effect. And Drums? How did they git in the picture?

Same as real Bluegrass cannot be played effectively indoors, so the real effect cannot be recorded. Ya don't just listen to Bluegrass, ya gotta be in on it.

However, you've given these wippersnappers a taste Doug. You just never know .. they might notice the website advertised at the end of the video, and go there. I just checked ... it's still up and runnin', so Chas is still live an' kickin'.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I digitized all my albums three years ago, then donated all the albums to a local charity store. It broke my heart to give away all those album covers. Thought I should use them to wallpaper a room in my house. But SHE must be obeyed (sigh).
Old 07-22-2015, 03:41 PM

HeeHee ... I go the other way Knife ... on the rare occasion that I actually go shopping with her (I have a local Daughter), I make a point of going to the charity shop to look through their vinyl albums. I can pick up a few rare ones for pennies that way. Car Boot Sales are the best though ... they might have them marked up as £1 each, but "I'll giv' yer a fiver fer the box full mate" nearly always works. Of course I've always had a scan through for goodies first, walked away, and come back two minutes later to make the boxful offer. Just a couple of collectables are well worth the fiver, and once digitised they can be resold over and over.

Not only do I still have a well used Vinyl player in my living room, there's another in the shed that's still interconnected with a PC along with CD, Cassette, and Reel to Reel recorders. There are VCR and DVD machines in there too, but I can't remember the last time they were used now. I'll stick wiv the antique rock'n'roll music fer me own collection now. Can't be doin' wiv all this digital piracy malarky ... but I easily could if I needed to.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Thanks Doug. That ELO model brings back some memories. I played that record so many times you could see through it.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:12 PM

E L O are far too modern to be in my collection PK, but I'll keep an eye out for it now. The tracks should be easy enough to find on this interweb thingy though.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:18 PM

There ya go ... but it ain't cheap! As I said .. The resale value of collectable vinyl is quite surprising.

CollectorsFrenzy - ELO "Out Of The Blue" rare BLUE VINYL LP with SPACESHIP