PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
This is the best report I've found on the accident.
Shoreham Airshow plane crash victims named as police say 11 people have died | Daily Mail Online
also
Shoreham Hunter Crash Investigated - Military News - Copybook

So far all Hawker Hunters are grounded and vintage jets are only to perform flybys
Old 08-24-2015, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Granted, I like airshows, too, but it seems more appropriate to me to have them at outlying airbases. We had the Kansas City Airshow at the downtown airport this last weekend and my main thought was that this would be more appropriate down at Whiteman. More inconvenient, but less chance of multi-fatality accidents. And then this happened. I don't see me changing my position, but I don't see things changing either
Old 08-24-2015, 11:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Granted, I like airshows, too, but it seems more appropriate to me to have them at outlying airbases. We had the Kansas City Airshow at the downtown airport this last weekend and my main thought was that this would be more appropriate down at Whiteman. More inconvenient, but less chance of multi-fatality accidents. And then this happened. I don't see me changing my position, but I don't see things changing either
The A27 where this happened is one of the busiest roads along south coast of UK.The ironic thing is that it appears most of the victims were not even at the airshow but travelling along this busy route

Last edited by herky; 08-24-2015 at 11:54 PM. Reason: error
Old 08-25-2015, 04:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
When I was working on the airshow scene all our pilots were banned from vertical recoveries at airshows. I.E. Do not point the aircraft straight down at the ground.

If you point the aircraft straight down and you get the timing wrong there is no escape route.

It is generally noise and speed that excites visitors to airshows for ex military jets. There is not a lot to be gained from doing a complete loop.

2 things stand out to me about this incident. Firstly the photo's just seconds before the crash show the aircraft pitched up but with a high rate of descent. That and the fact the pilot did not eject indicates to me that it is unlikely there was a mechanical issue. The pilot just got too low.

Secondly, the show line is usually parallel to the crowd and over or close to the runway. The aircraft should have been over the airfield not the road. The impact should have been close to show center right in front of the crowd. Not outside the airfield.

The AAIB are some of the best investigators in the world. I am sure they will work out what happened and why.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Agreed Karl. The footage suggests he was in control throughout the loop and misjudged his altitude given the last second pitch up but the investigation will shed light on the cause.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Google Adsense
Old 08-27-2015, 01:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by piginapoke View Post
Agreed Karl. The footage suggests he was in control throughout the loop and misjudged his altitude given the last second pitch up but the investigation will shed light on the cause.
Other pictures that have become available show that the flaps were partially down (T/O?) throughout the display. The flight manual for the aircraft states that flaps will create a substantial nose down trim above 200 kts. The effect increasing with speed. A loop is recommended to be performed at 425 kts.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post

2 things stand out to me about this incident. Firstly the photo's just seconds before the crash show the aircraft pitched up but with a high rate of descent. That and the fact the pilot did not eject indicates to me that it is unlikely there was a mechanical issue. The pilot just got too low.
I don't want it get into airs show rules or what pilots should or shouldn't do, or what any manuvouer's "purpose" is, but suffice it to say, anytime you are performing acrobatics at low altitudes there is an inherent risk of something going very wrong.

But to the point, that the pilot didn't eject doesn't nesacerly mean much. While, I haven't found anything through a quick search to a yea or nay; but privately owned military craft may not be allowed an operational ejection seat. Further, the F-16 Thunderbird at homestead afb that crashed, he started his loop too low and ejected a fraction before impact. And then there was the old T-38 Thunderbirds whose crashes was attributed a mechanical failure. I don't believe there was any evidence that any of the pilots attempted to eject.

Isaac Asimov
Old 08-28-2015, 12:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Here's a fun little document that states the FAA's policy on former military aircraft:
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...r/AC_21-54.pdf

"Surplus U.S. military aircraft are generally not sold directly to private U.S. operators without congressional approval."

So it literally would take an Act of Congress to buy that A-10 you always wanted.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Here's a fun little document that states the FAA's policy on former military aircraft:
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...r/AC_21-54.pdf

"Surplus U.S. military aircraft are generally not sold directly to private U.S. operators without congressional approval."

So it literally would take an Act of Congress to buy that A-10 you always wanted.
different rules apply in uk