PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-05-2016, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
The only thing really missing is a cutting board or mat.

I started with cutting board, hobby knife, white glue, ruler, and toothpicks, plus of course card stock and an inkjet printer, but I doubt you'd want to include one of those :D
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 02-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I didnt know about this site when I started.... my first tools were a big clunky pair of office scissors and a stapler.... my models were less than perfect... but it was enough to get me hooked!
Old 02-05-2016, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
How possible is it to include a CD with free kits?
A PDF with the links to forums and official download sites could also be included in that CD.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Chris, if you don't like the bitty gap, just flip the ruler over. All you are using it for is a straightedge, so the lack of markings on the backside is irrelevant. Actually, the cork side is easier to hold on to.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenandres77 View Post
A couple of band-aids would be useful too!
(just kidding )
No need. Super glue will take care of that!
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2016, 04:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Instead of a scribing tool, just recommend they use a dead pen. I'm sure everybody has one or 2 (million) of those lying around....or is that just me?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
tried the dead pen once. the ball of some of them are a bit too large for some of the small parts, and the one time i messed with one, it came back to life and "sputtered ink" on my model part. i now use an old #11 blade that i sanded down the sharp parts of the blade and slightly rounded the tip. this is a great discussion though, some of the ideas and tools others use are pretty neat and one is never too old to learn. thankyou all.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
When I started building the first things I bought were a printer, exacto knife for paper modeling, a bottle of Elmer glue, and 200 count of paper. I didn't know about cutting mats, so I used a wooden box my wood burner kit. I recently upgraded to this exacto knife set from e-bay. It has diffrent shaped knife blades, an a big handle knife I use to cut thicker stuff like Sprite boxes. It even has a knife with a long needle with a rounded point for scoring. My next upgrade will be a cutting mat because I am wearing through the wooden box.
Attached Thumbnails
Card Modeling Noob kit...-s-l400.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Although I use a ground-down Number 11 blade as a scriber, I also find a needle inserted in a dowel useful as a scriber, to punch small holes, to move pieces around, and to apply glue in tight spaces. This one is inexpensive, well made, and the handle is useful for rolling curves: Kemper Straight Needle - BLICK art materials

But I also have a small home-made one with the other end tapered. Useful for pressing down on parts while the glue dries. Illustrated below with the lid of a V-8 juice bottle, which I find the best thing for holding glue.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Card Modeling Noob kit...-small-needle.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Although I use a ground-down Number 11 blade as a scriber, I also find a needle inserted in a dowel useful as a scriber, to punch small holes, to move pieces around, and to apply glue in tight spaces. This one is inexpensive, well made, and the handle is useful for rolling curves: Kemper Straight Needle - BLICK art materials
I use a pin vise with a cut off straight pin instead of the micro drill bits it came with. I have a few sizes of pin for various degrees of precision. And if I need to drill a hole, well, I've got the bits, too

Definitely wouldn't call that part of a beginner kit, though. Toothpicks would probably do the job at that level.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Google Adsense

Tags
kit, sheets, card, print, glue, small, similar, basic, describe, pamphlet, methods, links, stick, resources, laminating, 1mm, gold, chris, tacky, bottle, thoughts, parts, suggestions, backing, cork