PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-22-2016, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thank you, sir
Old 03-23-2016, 12:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Yes I am watching this thread

and until now I have not felt the need to step in and say something.

this is a community, not an exclusive group/club or whatever

we are the largest English language forum dedicated to paper modeling, people who do searches on paper modeling will come here, because we are the first hit you see on in the results.

The sense of community has people asking me to change their nick names, which I am happy to do, and the sense of community allows those who do not want to share specifics to do so also, you can share as much or as little with the community you want.

We do have the welcome desk, and people can share their history and interests with us there, or they do not.

We all abhor piracy and people not following the requests of the designers.
I know we all want the tar and pitchforks, but we can't do that(we can make the forks out of paper)

You can view pictures that are linked from external sources, any attached pictures, if you are not a member, you will not be able to view.

hope this helps some

any questions, just ask me

Rick
Well put. I left the local IPMS years ago because of arguments amongst the membership. I won't quit this group but if we start requiring certain things to belong, then I may decide that it's not worth it.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
As per my response earlier if I might elucidate, the IPMS chapter I belonged to felt that you should be buying the newest kits with every add on that you could think of. If you didn't then you weren't a "real" modeler. You were fined if you attended a meeting without a finished model or one in the middle of construction. They made it such a pain in the a$$ that I not only left them, but stopped modeling all together for several years. While I hate piracy as much as any of the rest of you, if it becomes a reason to impose unreasonable burdens on any one wishing to join us, I would no longer recommend this forum to any one. I'm always trying to get more people to join in the "Paper Revolution", and some of the suggestions I've read here can only hurt our growing family. Just my two cents.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
I'd like to share another perspective with regards to policies that deal with piracy.

Software companies go to great lengths to create software based countermeasures aimed at making it very difficult people to pirate their applications. But in practice, after a while the pirates merely found a way to circumvent the protection, effectively disabling it.
Meanwhile, Licensed users continue to suffer the side effects of the protection mechanism while the pirates enjoy the same software without the side effects.
ex.
- Silent Hunter III with its STARFORCE copy protection
- Windows. Whenever you change a or add major h/w component in your system (e.g. video card, hdd, etc.) it sometimes requires you to re-activate your license by phone.

I think it's the same here in the PM community. Imposing policies will only serve to inconvenience the honest members. Meanwhile the pirates will quickly find a way to circumvent this..
Old 03-23-2016, 04:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Yes I am watching this thread

and until now I have not felt the need to step in and say something.

this is a community, not an exclusive group/club or whatever

we are the largest English language forum dedicated to paper modeling, people who do searches on paper modeling will come here, because we are the first hit you see on in the results.

The sense of community has people asking me to change their nick names, which I am happy to do, and the sense of community allows those who do not want to share specifics to do so also, you can share as much or as little with the community you want.

We do have the welcome desk, and people can share their history and interests with us there, or they do not.

We all abhor piracy and people not following the requests of the designers.
I know we all want the tar and pitchforks, but we can't do that(we can make the forks out of paper)

You can view pictures that are linked from external sources, any attached pictures, if you are not a member, you will not be able to view.

hope this helps some

any questions, just ask me

Rick
I agree 100%. Also, I think we're missing this simple fact: Becoming a member here, while it allows access to the forums, images posted, and some of the wonderful free models as designed and graciously released by those in our community, does not mean that people are using that to download the models and release them without permission.

I agree! Piracy is a big issue. It pisses me off too. But, restricting the membership of this community hurts those who rely on this forum.

Lets not be insensitive.
Google Adsense
Old 03-23-2016, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I appreciate all comments and support in this matter.
Even though the discussion has hit a few bumps,
I think its good that these discussions occur and that all members hear our voices.

If I might be allowed to return to the original topic of this thread for a moment...

let me recap: I was alerted to the MooNFish Papercraft Blog, and specifically the "secret archive" found at that bog.
MooNFish's PaperCrafts
MooNFish, who is also a member here, promotes his own paper craft, he links to a number of other paper model designers,
and he shares a collection of found models in the "secret archive".

The "secret archive" is actually a link to an online storage folder at Yandex Services (File Hosting).
Within that folder are subfolders, various topics like Cars, Airplanes, Figures, etc.
And within those folders are subfolders and dozens of found Paper models.

I found many of my own KoolWheelz models, along with other free models I have produced.
These models are being duplicated and redistributed without my permission.
It clearly states on each model and on my website that copying and resharing is not allowed.

In the folders I also found dozens of other internet free models from sites like paper-replika, mauther's blog, paperkraft, etc...all being shared without the proper permissions I assume.

Anyway, I spent a long time going through as many folders as possible, searching for my own models,
and creating a list of those models with download link addresses (URLs)
and all the necessary information to submit a DMCA report to the file hosting service (Yandex).

I don't know if I got them all, but I requested that the files I submitted be removed
on the grounds of unauthorized duplication and redistribution.

I've done this before, with other files, from other file hosting services.
And had great success...usually within a few hours.
And within 24 hours Yandex has responded.

Heres the funny thing...not only my files have been removed...but the entire Yandex file folder (MooNFish's secret archive) has been blocked.
"secret archive": https://yadi.sk/d/he_5bIKSZpSuE
(If you click on info, you will see this, from Yandex: https://yandex.com/support/legal/ugc_takedown/)

Maybe they recognized that all the material in his folder was protected
and found it simpler to block the entire folder?
Or maybe one offence (re: my files), constitutes a complete shutdown of services with this company?

Either way, I accomplished a major shutdown of unauthorized file sharing.

Sure, there is nothing to stop someone like MooNFish from opening another account, creating a new "secret archive", filling it full of pirated material and sharing it online.
But I hope he will choose not to do this.
If he does, I will track it down and do this again.
I will keep doing it.
And I will keep causing trouble by leaving comments on websites, blogs and other webpages.
And I will make sure the paper modeling community knows.

So...MooNFish...why not join the group, share the hobby properly and be part of the community?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Attaboy Dave!!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
I also something to say for one I have been a member here for a very very long time!
I have never ever post every ones paper model members creator or designers stuff on ether my blog or here or every were else on this whole entire internet unless I get the permission from you or others! to post it. not for money. not for stealing it. not to calling it that I made it not you! at lest I'm confessing that I am trust worth of not making it a big issue! out of it I just bet there my models are stole by other people not just knowing it if I did a search on google.com I find a lot more then I was unexpectedly all over the world wide web! :( but who cares so if they have my models from my blog or selling it on e-bay or others money is no option to me? but you may not agree with me! that's just my opinion!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
thank you Mike.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
This is great news. Congratulations Dave, way to go!

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense

Tags
models, moonfish, permission, website, message