PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-24-2016, 05:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Visit to Gettysburg

Hello all,

For my summer vacation this year, my wife and I paid a visit to family in Maryland. Prior to the visit, I contacted our very own Don Boose to see if we could meet up as we were staying not too far from Carlisle, Pa. Don was very forthcoming and offered to give me a tour of the Gettysburg National Battlefield Park. This offer was duly taken up and Don very graciously gave my cousin Bill and myself a personal guided tour lasting over 5 hours. I have no superlatives to describe this day, but it is enough to say that it was the most memorable experience out of a holiday that was truly memorable. I have read broadly on this particular battle, but nothing can prepare you for the 'on the ground' experience. Don's tour gave us an hour by hour, day by day breakdown of the unfolding events and was filled with anecdotes and stories not normally given in the histories.

Our tour was rounded off by drinks and lunch in The Pub in downtown Gettysburg and even our wives were enthralled by Don's tales and recollections. He is truly a font of knowledge.

Throughout all this, we even had time to discuss paper models, and you know what? it just doesn't get better than this.

Some pictures of the tour.

Don and I at 'The Corner', the high water mark of Picket's charge.

Don pointing the way to The Roundtops, with the Peach Orchard in the middle distance.

Devil's Den from the ground and from Little Roundtop.

Plaque at the site of Chamberlain's position at the end of the 'fish-hook'.

Thank you Don for an unforgettable experience. You are a true gentleman sir.

All the best and happy modelling,

Bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Visit to Gettysburg-20160705_150619.jpg   Visit to Gettysburg-dsc_0038.jpg   Visit to Gettysburg-dsc_0047.jpg   Visit to Gettysburg-dsc_0056.jpg   Visit to Gettysburg-dsc_0046.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2016, 05:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
OOOHH. I am truly jealous. American Civil War History, meeting a knowledgeable historian AND card modeler. Cardist, I am green with envy. Glad you all had a good time!
Have a great day! George
Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Just noticed my error. The first caption should be 'The Angle' not the corner. Sorry Don!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I should mention that Bernie is very well read on the Gettysburg Campaign and his cousin, Bill, is a member of the [American] Civil War Roundtable, so this was a day spent with well-informed and congenial friends. Although I shared the U.S. Army War College Staff Ride approach to the campaign and battle, we were exchanging information and views on an equal basis.

Bernie in person is as warm and congenial as he is in his Forum posts, and he has a good sense of humor. In front of Schmucker Hall at the Lutheran Seminary on Seminary Ridge, Bernie pointed to the cupola atop the building and said, "So that was where Sam Elliott was when he spied Heth's Division approaching."

It was a great day and a most pleasant evening at The Pub. History, card modeling, and camaraderie with good and congenial people. As Bernie said, it doesn't get better than that.

Don
Old 07-24-2016, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Aw man, that sounds like a grand event! And thank you for the photos.
Google Adsense
Old 07-25-2016, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
I have never made it to Gettysburg but it is on my to do list. I remembered this from a few years ago. A paper model of the Seminary from where Sam Elliot spied Heth's Division.
Gamer Architect: Paper Building: 15mm ACW Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary

Joe
Old 07-25-2016, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
I have been to Gettysburg and look forward to going back. It was an awesome experience and well worth the trip I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the American Civil War.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Another historic place to visit in Pennsylvania, a couple hours from Gettysburg: The Flight 93 National Memorial, near Shanksville. A very sad, but also very interesting place to see. There is a long display table filled with tiny fragments of wire, coins, cell phone fragments, clothing buttons. Evidence of the lives of the people lost on the plane. In addition to the heroes of Flight 93, there are the other stories of 9/11, World Trade Center and Pentagon, and you can hike or drive down to the crash site. The actual impact point is visible, but closed to all except family, which is appropriate considering it's a gravesite.