PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
My car

Well, I was cleaning up some files and realized I had some hi-res pictures of my car online. This is my baby - and the origin of my screenname (the engine is the Chevy LS1, same as Corvette C5's). *Warning for those with slow internet connections - these are big pictures.
http://home.comcast.net/~cthulu969/Dscn4846.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~cthulu969/Dscn4841.jpg
Old 08-22-2007, 12:10 PM

nice ... the irony is that F-bodies (Camaro and Firebird) were axed because GM F-Body customers were not returning to buy newer F-bodies. Also sales were down in the market for 2-door V8 GM cars. So much so that the entrenched F-Body crowd were in shock when GM killed the line.

But as per usual... better to IMPORT the car (2-Door V8) than make it locally.

Smart move GM.

Dansls1... have you watched Top Gear? They showed the Vauxhall Monaro and gave it a great rating. Since they tend to crap on pretty much everything North American it would be interesting to see their view of the Pontiac Mon... I mean GTO.

Oh well. The GTO is toast in 2010. The Zeta platform will be available and the Camaro returns and my W-bodies will be a dead platform too. =\

I'm hoping the GTO/Grand Prix/Monte Carlo will kept even on a different platform though.

Here's a link to what happens when you can't wait for Chevy to bring back the Chevelle... =)

http://www.lateral-g.org/hrss454/
Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I have never owned an F-body - but I know quite a few converts and it's night and day difference between the GTO and the last Camaro, in interior fit and function and ride. Independent rear suspension, while robbing a bit of straight line acceleration, makes the car a very nice driveable performance car. Plus, while getting into and out of the rear isn't easy, once back there it is an extremely comfortable and roomy seat.
It's funny - when they announced they were bringing the GTO back, I thought they were doing the last 'retro' version they had at the car shows. I avoided looking into it like the plague - until I found out it was really the Monaro. I knew the Monaro already and fell in love - hence why I own one of the first 1000 or so to be imported. I had considered ordering panels to convert mine to a full Monaro look - but decided against it. Personally I like the semi-sleeper look of the GTO - when/if I get it re-painted in the future it'll probably lose the wing and all badging to further the sleeper look.
I've got 32k miles on mine and love it. I've had very few issues (both power door lock motors failing, one after warranty). It is a very civil car for normal driving - and can do everything you want when you get on it. Traction control makes it drivable even in the snow.
I've seen that Chevelle - I'm not impressed - but some people like it.
I also hear rumors of a zeta platform GTO. It'll actually be the first chance at the GTO coming back - the Monaro import version was '04 - '06 and done. I keep trying to convice the wife that we need a new G8 when our lease is up on her SUV. 2 RWD V8 Australian performance vehicles in the driveway would make me a very happy person - but we'll see
Old 08-24-2007, 03:03 PM

I can't see a Zeta GTO. The Zeta platform is being reserved to Pontiac for the Firebird.

If they don't do it ... you will see mullets rioting in the street. lol.

ps. I am not crazy about that Chevelle either.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Dansls1- I do like your GTO. I agree about the sleeper quality of it. Very sneeky. As per the Chevelle, I also think that it's just ok. It seemed pretty obvious to me that it was a redressed GTO. I grew up with a '72 Chevelle Malibu 350, and I always loved the '70 SS 454. I think that is what that new Chevelle was meant to look like.
Google Adsense