PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
So what do you do with a cellar full of old rare plastic kits unbuilt. What do I do as my kids and grandkids have no interest in models only sports and iphone and the girls into boys? HELP! HELP!
Old 01-07-2017, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Unless you feel like ebaying or spending your weekends at swap meets, you do like I did with a big bunch. Contact a collector/vendor and work out a deal for a quantity. I had a wall stacked with stuff, had a figure in mind that I could sell them for individual, he made an offer, we negotiated. He got a price were he could make a profit, I had a chunk of money in my pocket plus a bunch of space and a minimal lost of time: win-win.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
bloomohio, I have mine available at "charlie'splasticmodels.com". He tries to put a price that seems to be what others are getting for them. He did all the photography and uploaded them to his site, and we split the proceeds. Sometimes I make some money, sometimes not. But
there are a lot of my models going to good homes.Not taking up room in the basement.

Cheers, Bob
Old 01-07-2017, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
It is hard to separate the model builder from the model kit collector. I enjoy models in wood, paper and plastic. I like that paper takes less room to store the future projects. Can't really say why I obtain the models I do. I suppose getting them seems like a good idea at the time. It's good I have limited space and funds to save me from myself. I certainly have not built all those I've purchased. If it brings us pleasure to search them out and bring them home it doesn't much matter why. If we actually build them, well that's a bonus.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Because it makes me happy and I don't have to justify myself to some unhappy pathetic over analyzing git for it
Google Adsense
Old 01-15-2017, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
They are certainly less expensive than the real items that we are collecting models of
Old 01-15-2017, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
i lot of my models i build just because i want to and give them away.carriers and herks i keep
Remember a while back when you posted a pic of a big pile of your models stacked on top of each other? To the point where your lady threatened to cut your model purchases off?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceM View Post
Remember a while back when you posted a pic of a big pile of your models stacked on top of each other? To the point where your lady threatened to cut your model purchases off?
yes she over that now.strangly enough a lot of the models i make i do so just because i enjoy making them,some i keep,some i scrap if im not happy with them and some i give away
Old 01-15-2017, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
This has been a fun question to consider. Seems to me there are four primary reasons:

1. Because the model available now might not be available later (out of print, removed from download, etc)
2. Because when the time comes to build a certain model, if we don't have it downloaded we may not remember where to go to get it
3. As a reference to see how various designers solve common problems of complex curves or shapes, or apply texturing, etc.
4. For more expensive and large scope models, wishful thinking?

For me, the vast majority of my collection are free downloads. Because why not - hard drive space is cheap, but pay downloads, printed models, or models in other mediums are not.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Talking Hoosier are collectors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceM View Post
Being from Indiana it must be the air in Indiana and marrying somebody from the east was my problem? Like what are you going to do with all those unbuilt models in the basement?
Google Adsense