PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-28-2017, 06:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Has to either be the browsers on my Win10 computer or my ISP. I tried all three browsers I have; Chrome, IE 11 and Edge...none worked. I recently got a new modem from my ISP because the old one crapped out on me dropping a connection every day.

The website pulls up fine on my phone using Chrome.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:43 PM

It's been awhile on this thread.....but has anyone who DID NOT have access to the website eventually get access to the website? As in the post above, I am still unable to access Fiddlersgreen....and I can't figure out why.

I have tried to access the site from three different Windows 10 computers using 3 different browsers (IE 11, Chrome & MS Edge). None of them let me access the website.

I can however, access the website using either an Android device or Chromebook on my ISP. But using the ISP with a Windows 10 computer gives me the connection timed out error.

When that Memorial Day freebie was released, I tried to get on the website and that's when I noticed I still didn't have access. I spent the week since then trying to troubleshoot why I can't access just that one website from three different computers. My trouble shooting steps have included turning off my firewall/antivirus software, turning off windows defender, resetting my DNS settings, refreshing my IP address, deleting cookies in browser, resetting my Windows ISP host file, resetting to factory settings both on the ISP modem and Netgear router. And yesterday, after hours on tech support with my ISP, they suggested I go in and trade my modem for a new one. After getting home and setting up the new modem, I was able to access Fiddlersgreen once. I closed the tab and opened up a new tab....access GONE! Don't know what could be causing the error and was hoping someone who had trouble before figured out a way that I haven't tried. I've sent an email to Scott to see if he could help or perhaps find out if the host server has some sort of blocking software in place....could be autoblocking ISPs or IP address ranges. Who knows?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Just tried and got on........ no problem. Win 7 - Mozilla Firefox

My Drawings
Old 06-01-2017, 08:30 PM

Thanks for checking John. One day...I'll figure out what is blocking my access. HA!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
I've had the same issue myself for several years. I recently discovered that if I use one of those anonymous web proxy websites, I can access the site. Thought I saw that suggestion here, but if so, it wasn't this particular thread. Don't know the legality of those sites, so I won't post the address of the particular one I use here. FG is the only site I've needed it for though.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I have no problem accessing Fiddlers Green via Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox v.53.0.3 using Windows 10 v.1607.

Don
Old 06-02-2017, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Just checked using a Win 7 and Win 10 machine using both the Firefox and Chrome browsers and was able to access the site with no problems. I even tried adding https:// and http:// to the front of the url and was still able to access the site.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 AM

Scott Fyn responded to my email and confirmed the problem is most likely my ISP/modem combination. I have Spectrum/Time Warner and am leasing their modem from them. Scott said there have been other customers who have had similar problems and are Spectrum/Time Warner Cable customers. I suppose any ISP part of the Spectrum merger would be affected?

I'm most likely going to purchase my own cable modem since going on my third modem from them has not resolved my issue. Hopefully a purchased one will work.

Miles, who is your ISP (or was your ISP) at the time of your original post?

Scott K. who do you use as your ISP?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Turner View Post
...Miles, who is your ISP (or was your ISP) at the time of your original post?

Scott K. who do you use as your ISP?
Mine is also Spectrum/Time Warner. That might explain why using the Proxy site works. No other choice around here for "standard" internet. Our only alternative would be Dish Network or the local phone company's DSL.

Miles, you're "near" me, relatively speaking. Is it the same out your way?
Old 06-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.68 MB
It might be your DNS server which can vary from ISP or from device. For instance android or chromebooks use Google's public DNS servers. Generally people's machines have their DNS server set up automatically by their ISP. I got tired of my ISP's DNS constantly timing out, but you can normally define any of a number of free public DNS servers so I set it to Google's (8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4) in the Network properties (how varies by system). Often you can set more than one so it will default to a secondary if the first one fails. Sometimes DNS just flake out from time to time. Lately I've had trouble where my chromebook says that the connection is up, but diagnostics say the DNS is timing out, which requires me to either re-connect or reboot the modem (re-connect is easier).
Google Adsense