PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I'm thankful for my lifetime supply of original X-ACTO blades. When the office at one place where I used to work was being cleaned out, I was given 600 blades. No one there wanted them. I wish Harbor Freight carried the blades used in the Gordon Knife sets they sell. The blades are really strong and stay sharp for quite a while.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
at6
Jealous of you. Had about 2 and half of the 100 pack of original blades I'd got at one of the art departments I worked in years ago. They were in the tools and supplies I had stolen out of the house in Tulare.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
How do the Hobbico brand number 11 blades from Great Planes/Tower Hobbies compare to the others?
Even though I do far more plastic and wood than paper and cardboard, they have served okay for what paper and cardstock work I do.
I haven't tried their variant with the back-angled tip.
Looking at their website now I see Revell offers same variant.

And I guess this explains why I haven't bought X-Acto in several years - because looking at the packages they just didn't have good vibes. I didn't have a clue why, but, they just felt, off, somehow.
Maybe that sounds goofy, but it is a way my being seems to operate a lot of the time.

Will see what I can find in Olfa. I'm just old enough that my first thought is local store here in our farm burg instead of internet!
Except for books, we have no local small town bookstore and they wouldn't stock the kind of nonfiction train, plane, boat, and space, books I buy anyway.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Guess I'm not the only one experiencing the less than stellar xacto blades. I did the ole ebay search and came across several listings for knock off blades, a pack of 100 was like eight bucks, shipping included. have to admit, they aint bad.
Im always on the lookout for new, long lasting blades.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
I got so fed up with X-Crapto blades I switched to these years ago........

I get them off ebay for around 13 bucks per 100 blades.
Attached Thumbnails
X-ACTO blades-s-l500.jpg  

My Drawings
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Thank y'all for the feedback. This morning I ordered Fiskar scissors and Techni-Edge blades from Amazon. On top of all this I think I may also have a source for out-of-date (which I was not aware of) scalpel blades. I think I'll be smiling soon.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Here's a link to a thread I started in 2010 about the same thing....not gotten any better I guess.......Rich
X-ACTO blades
Old 03-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Here's a link to a thread I started in 2010 about the same thing....not gotten any better I guess.......Rich
X-ACTO blades
Thanks richkat for the input regarding the previous thread which I was unaware of. My X-ACTO tolerance reached the boiling point when some of my new blades had a bent tip.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Not exactly in line with this thread of finding good blades, but I extend the lives of my #11 X-Acto blades by stropping the tips on a piece of scrap soft leather (Tandy) glued to a paint stirring stick. I put some stropping compound on the leather and strop the blade tip whenever it seems to be getting dull. I started doing this after breaking the tip off of several X-Acto blades in a period of a week. Stropping seems to leave a pretty good tip, even if the original tip was broken off. Not the ideal solution, but less frustrating than changing blades every few days.
Wayne
Old 03-17-2017, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
A long time ago Hobby Lobby had a sale on Excel #11 blades. I bought a whole bunch of them. Excel blades seem OK. I probably will purchase some of those Techni-Edge blades.

I have also found that the type of cutting mat used can affect the performance of the blade. Those hard Olfa rotatary cutting mats are more for straight cuts and gentle curves using a rotary cutter (those cutters with circular blades that roll along the cut). The hardness of the mat material can easily break the tips off of the blades. There are mats that are more suited for use with hobby knife blades. They feel softer and have more give so when making turns while cutting there is less chance of breaking off the tip.

Wayne, I did basically the same thing to extend the life of a blade. Took an old leather belt, cut off a section, and removed the shiny layer. Glued that to a piece of wood that was shaped to incorporate a handle. I use black stropping compound to hone the edge and tip of used blades.
Attached Thumbnails
X-ACTO blades-strop_n_compound.jpg   X-ACTO blades-strop_edge.jpg  
Google Adsense