PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
X-ACTO blades

Has anyone been having problems with the latest generation of #11 X-Acto blades or is it just me paying for my sins?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I think its been discussed here a couple of times and on both the plastic model car boards I go to. The new #11s basically suck. You can pay more and get the Z blades they're doing now and they almost match the old blades. For paper I'm finding myself using scissors more and going with scalpels for more detailed work.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
The alternative is to go on eBay and try to score a pack or two of the old blades, but they are getting both scarce and pricy. I'm one of the converts to scalpels...they are a bit more brittle than the old Xacto blades, but can't be beat for sharpness and cost.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Darwin and Whulsey and guys.
If you go the scalpel route check with your local hospital in their surgery supply section. they clear out the out of date scalpel blades every now and again, they just throw them away.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Thanks, Ted. Good tip.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
I use Olfa blades. That was a recommendation another time when we bemoaned X-Acto problems since being taken over by Elmer's Products. Here is a selection of Olfa and X-Acto knives and blades. The photo was taken for another purpose than this listing. The snap off is not Olfa.

Last edited by Lighter; 03-16-2017 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Needed a blank line leading into the photo. Plus I had an additional IMG tag. Gosh Darn. I'm sorry it happened.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 42.31 MB
Techni-Edge Blades...

I've been using Techni-Edge #11 blades for the last 6 months. I bought a pack of 100 for around US$12.00 via Amazon and have been very satisfied with results. The tips are much more resilient, the blades stay sharper, and overall each blade has lasted longer than the similar Exacto.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 72.28 MB
I definitely second that opinion. I do the same thing and am VERY satisfies with the quality. I am of the feeling that you don't "buy a Rolls Royce when all you need is a good used Chevy"
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Olfa snap-off blades for straight cuts and excel (made in U.S.A.) #11 for curves.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Does anyone have a good source in US or Canada for OLFA #11 blades? The best I can find is a 25-pack for $14 on Amazon, compared to 100-pack of Techni-Edge blades for $10.95 with free shipping from Online Hardware Store| Plumbing Supplies | Kitchen Cabinet Hardware | Discount Cabinet Hardware

Some time ago, I bought a pack of X-Acto Z-blades that turned out to be poorly ground. The tips kept breaking off.

I sent X-Acto the attached photo and they promptly sent me two packs of Z blades. The tips on these don't break off but they bend. And these have to be resharpened more often than the first Z-blades I bought.

I tried scalpels but found them too brittle--maybe the wrong brand for hobby work.

The sharpeners shown help my blades and scissors last longer. The knife sharpener came from Ace Hardware, the scissors sharpener from Fiskars.
Both were well worth the investment. Paper is hard on blades and scissors. (Woe to the man who uses his wife's sewing scissors for cutting paper, for he shall hear unkind words.)
--David
Attached Thumbnails
X-ACTO blades-x-acto.jpg   X-ACTO blades-knife-sharpener.jpg   X-ACTO blades-scissors-sharpener.jpg  
Google Adsense