PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Live action 'Ghost in the shell' - no thanx, watch the original anime, better still, read Shirow's original manga (some pages for adults only !). Disney, again, seem set on live action releases of their animated films - they better not do a live action 'Little Mermaid' !!
SWvii was just a greatest hits from the original 3 SW films jammed together ! And how would a stormtrooper 'grunt' know that there was one vital area on the planet killer planet that would destroy it ? He was just a dude in white armour - and better taking on aliens in 'Attack the Block', which was made for probably 1000% less money and is so much a better film for that.
You're right... it's DUMB storytelling like that that, ie plotholes you could fly a DEATH STAR through, that just ruins these movies for me...

And usually the "higher ranked" "big name" directors like Abrams are the world's worst about it... like I said, they're "all show and no go"... or as we say in Texas, "All hat and no cows".

Rogue One was SO much better done... and supposedly by the "B-team" string of people, NOT the worthless "super genius" Abrams...

Later! OL J R
Old 03-30-2017, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
I suppose as film companies are, first and foremost, businesses and are therefore only in existance to make profit that they want to make as much profit at the least effort, and remakes, reboots, reimagings are the easiest way to do it. The product - the film - is a means to an end. What annoys me, hence this thread, is how we, the consumer, is treated by (some)film companies -like sheep who will follow whatever they give us. This also happens with comic books - I now no longer buy DC graphic novels because DC have made further alterations to their multiverse, and I refuse to buy into the hype. This is why I never went to see Star Wars vii when it came out, nor do I own is on DVD. Having been stung with episodes 1-3 (Star Wars:The 'Ani' Years), I wasvery unwilling to take a bite of this new 'hook'.
Quite true... as long as retreads sell, they'll never do anything really "original"...

Later! OL J R
Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Now, to the quote. There is that most likely circular question - are movies going there because people/society has gone there?
Or are people/society going there because media is leading them there?
Thats a fair observation. Like anything else, these things often spiral together.

But things that spiral together tend to swirl down the same drain.

Or to paraphrase...If people stopped coming, maybe the not make them?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Finally got around to seeing Rogue 1 last week. It was ok, they could have maybe cut out 20 minutes of things going boom and tighten it up a bit and I would have liked to have seen more background on Forrest Whitaker's character. Going to try to get out to Ghost in the Shell soon. Guess it hasn't been doing too well, seems to be a combination of not simple enough for those with no background about it and the hard core being po'd about the casting.

Have to say the 2 best SF/Fantasy films I've seen lately have been 'Arrival' and 'Kubo and the Two Strings'.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
My big dislike of Rogue 1 (not even going to talk about Episodes 1,2 & 3), is that they don't give you reasons to like the characters before getting into the action. In a New Hope, you like Leia because she is trying to protect folks from the big evil guy and the evil empire. You like Luke because he is stuck in the going nowhere farm life. You like the robots because they were quirky.

Jumping into the story without giving any reason to like someone is pretty stupid
Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2017, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 967.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Have to say the 2 best SF/Fantasy films I've seen lately have been 'Arrival' and 'Kubo and the Two Strings'.
have to agree with you on these, "Arrival was very cerebral i haven't seen a good one like that since "Sunshine" and Kubo was just a wonderful movie, i highly recommend it for the whole family.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
'Sunshine' one of my favourite movies - I'll happily watch it any time and not get bored of doing so.