PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-04-2017, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 321.94 MB
My article is (finally) up!

Many of you will remember that I was working on an article on cardmodelling for a science fiction magazine back in (good Lord, was that November???) November. It's finally up on Clarkesworld Magazine's May issue. Here's the link:

Clarkesworld Magazine - Science Fiction & Fantasy : Cut, Fold, and Conquer the Universe: The Best Models in the Galaxy by Mark Cole

I'd like to thank everyone who helped and commented at the time, particularly Revell Fan who volunteered to help proof what I wrote (it's all right, I passed with flying colors).

I would appreciate it if you'd take a moment to comment at the bottom of the article. I like it when my publisher, the one and only Neil (one man band) Clarke, (who owns, edits, typesets, pays the bills, takes out the trash and does whatever else it takes to run a prizewinning online magazine) gets the idea that someone is actually reading my stuff, lol!

Thanks all, I hope you enjoy it!

Mark.
Google Adsense
Old 05-04-2017, 06:21 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Great read, enjoyed the stroll through paper modeling nerdvana
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-04-2017, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Nice reading!
It was a great journey through Sci-fi on the wing of our hobby.

And thanks to your detailed review I got introduced to some sites I didn't know existed.

Just one small note: on the paragraph about Webdude, it reads as if he is still updating... which sadly is not completely accurate, as he died last year.

As fort the rest, a great article.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:46 PM

Oh, I am saddened to hear that! He did such great work. I'm glad I downloaded gobs of it!

Hope his Google Drive files stay up!

Thanks for the kind comments - and it's good to know that all my obsessive searching around turned up something new!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A truly excellent article. Thorough and written with clarity and precision. Bravo!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Great trip through Nerdvana-land. Your article is well-written, accurate and well-balanced. Do hope you won''t be a stranger here, after all, you HAVE been bitten by the bug. We'd love to see a build thread or two by you.

Great job guy! Thanks for the coverage
Old 05-05-2017, 09:04 PM

Actually, my Dad got his boys started on cardmodelling, back in the John Hathaway days. I've got a big pile of cool models of everything from aircraft to armor I've collected over the years.

Somehow, I've got my editor to agree to a number of passion projects lately - from comic strips to old time radio and now cardmodels. My brother introduced me to online models a few years ago, and I quickly found a lot of SF models. I've been trying to sell the idea ever since. But I hadn't looked at what was out there for a few years, so I ended up discovering all sorts of new things.

As you can imagine, my hard drive is groaning, lol!

Actually building them is terrifying. I've got Claudio Diaz's Mad Max Police Interceptor sitting here in a box, waiting for me to do more than cut out one part, lol. However, I did finish Skip's Romulan Warbird!

But I've built a few in my time, so gets easier to spot the good designs. It's amazing how many people have put so much passion into something they are willing to give away. Thank God they're out there!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.96 MB
Very nice article!
Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Very well done! Congrats, Mark!

I am so glad that the parts regarding the history of papercrafting were not cut from the result. This is a very "tough" article with many many infos and links. I hope it will make more people get interested in the topic and join the community.

Tags
article, clarkesworld, magazine, science fiction