PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
RAF Molesworth

I had an uncle who fought in WW2 as a member of the 45th ID during the Sicily, Italy, and southern France campaign. His wife had a brother who was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 that flew out of Molesworth in England.

I looked up the place using Google Maps and noticed there was an area north of the village still designated as RAF Molesworth, but instead of an airfield it looks to be a storage area. Being curious about the WW2 airfield I went looking for any photographs of the area taken during WW2 and found an aerial photo of the airfield. What strikes me is how easy it was to compare the 1944 photo with the present day overhead view because most of the farmer's fields surrounding the location still look the same. It makes me wonder how far back those fields go in their present configuration and the laws and customs that regulate the shape and ownership. Probably goes back many generations and centuries.
Google Adsense
Old 05-19-2017, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
It makes me wonder how far back those fields go in their present configuration and the laws and customs that regulate the shape and ownership. Probably goes back many generations and centuries.
Hi Doug
"Land enclosure" is the search term and this is as good a place as any to start placating your wondering.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosure
It was an historic process that radically altered the economic and, perhaps more importantly, the social structures of England and Wales.
Cheers
Old 05-19-2017, 08:18 AM

Thanks, Maurice. That is some interesting information. Makes it more clear in regards to those fields surrounding the airfield site.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
RAF Molesworth has a long and interesting history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Molesworth

It was the site of mass demonstrations in the 1980's. People were objecting the the base being used to store cruise missiles.

When you fly over this part of the UK (East Anglia) you can always spot old air bases. Some are still being used. Others are little more than a perimeter track.

Usually their would be a main base, with half a dozen smaller satellite bases nearby.

Tim
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Thanks, Tim.
I saw an old documentary film a while back about a RAF bombing mission. It mentioned satellite bases and staging areas around the main base. It also showed a system to ignite fuel staged alongside the main runway to burn away fog to aide aircraft landings in adverse conditions.
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Hi all,

About the many airfields installed in Great Britain in 1944 - 1945, there was a joke that said that it was possible to travel by plane across the country just taxiing your plane.
(From "The Big Show" -Pierre Clostermann ,FFL pilot)